Where is my Saab hiding my tools?

Classic 900 T16 - Lost 2 Allen keys, a bolt and a jubilee clip today while cleaning the AIC valve out. I've looked on the ground, felt around the block and the greasy chassis under the n/s rear wing, but I can't find them anywhere! They're not on the floor either :-(

Surely my Saab can't be worse than a 2CV or GSA for eating tools...

So, where are they? Any nooks and crannies I've missed?

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Yes,

They're in that "bottomless pit" just in front of the driver's-side wheel arch. The one that's full of gunk and leaves. And tools.

Yup. You _did_ make your offering to Odin before starting work, didn't you? If not, well...it's a Norse thing.

Ah, in that case, they're on the _passenger_ side in front of the front wheel arch.

Dave "tell me I'm wrong..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Mike P at snipped-for-privacy@up-uranus.com wrote on 20/09/2004 19:04:

It's simple ... You've got a classic SAAB, right? It's the trolls.

The trolls catch all manner of bolts, tools, nuts and clips that fall into the engine bay. Usually they just eat whatever falls in, but if it's a really new or shiny tool they do keep hold of it. When you go to an owners club meeting, they all get together and compare what they've got; even swapping between themselves.

You're likely to find other such rarities too where the sub-floor troll lives in the boot. They have a particular fancy for golf tees and foreign coinage :)

You do have to keep them well fed though because sometimes if you work them too hard and they get thirsty, they unscrew the oil dipstick and drink all your engine oil!

Don't even think of getting one of those flexible magnetic things ... They will only scare your trolls away and then you'll be left with a lemon.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

All four guards hide quite big stuff. Ditto under the battery. Smaller stuff likes going in the holes in the chassis rails and ocaasionally comes back out. Surprising what can fit down the tunnel behind the handbrake or in the back of the console too ....

Reply to
hippo

Just last night I went "fishing" down the '01 9-3's center console/handbrake tunnel. Items found (but not all retrieved) include: Campaign buttons, pens, $2.15 in change, headlamp wiperblade, dried fruit, frequent buyer cards (grocery/hardware), and french-fries. All of which were helpfully hidden by my car-fanatic toddler! Can't wait to look in the wife's '97.

Reply to
J. Harris

Not lost anything in my 9-3 yet, but when I had a 2CV I found a large pair of mole grips in it.

Reply to
sadders

About 15yr ago bought an old Mini as a project for $150, drove it home and found over $300 in change coins scattered through it. Could be the only car I ever made money on!

Reply to
hippo