which 9000 rear seats be folded flat?

I'm looking for a replacement for my 1995 9000CS that got wrecked. Cheaper to buy another one than get that one fixed. I'd like to be able to put the seat down flat to have a lot of cargo room. The CS rear seat is to cushy to fold flat. There are some odd directions in the owner's manual about pulling up some tabs and maybe lifting the back out:??? but I can't find these tabs on mine. I know I've seen 9000s with the back down flat making a lot of cargo space. Do CSEs fold flat? I'm pretty sure Aeros don't. Do all 900/9-3s fold flat?

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

On both mine ('91 SE, and a '97 Anniversary CSE), the rear seats will go flat.

The trick is to first fold up the seat bases, then tip the seat backs (removing the head restraint in the process). When the seat backs are laying, push them flat. You will see small fold out 'wings' in the base of the seat bases, that fold out and hold the seat backs flat.

I hope that makes some sense!!

Julia

Reply to
Jools

AFAIK, the CS and CSE seats operate identically. You first must "tumble" forward the lower seat cushion and then fold down the seat back. On our old '92 9000T and also on my daughter's '93 9000CSE that provides a fairly (though not perfectly) flat area for cargo.

There may be some difference between different model years?

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

Saab has always had a fold flat capability, but most models have required the lower part of the seat to be lifted before the backrest is folded (I don't remember how the 93/95/96 was operated, just that the floor became "tremendous").

The NG900/9-3 is an exception as the seat can be folded flat but the resulting floor will not be flat due to the 10 cm threshold where the seat starts.

Reply to
th

It's this moving forward of the lower seat cushion that I haven't been able to figure out. I'll fiddle around and see if I can get it to work. Do you push it from the back or pull it from the front?

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

On the early 96's, before about 1968 (sorry to be vague) it was simply "lift up seat bottom, lay down on the floor, face-down". Until 1963 or so, the seat back came up off some hooks on the partition, later they were hinged.

Some people (myself included) consider this to be evidence of the 9-3 platform not being a true Saab platform.

Dave "Just bought a c900 and really am enjoying it" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you push your hand between the seat bottom & back, amongst the old bits of food wrapper, coins & half melted sweets you will find a fabric tag. This

*should* protrude between the cushions, but often gets lost. Pull this tab forward, and the seat base moves.

HTH? Julian

Reply to
Jools

I would use the word "fabric loops" rather than "fabric tag." And yes, once you open it, vacuuming the space could reduce potential smells inside the car ;-)

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

I have this on my 1993 9000 CSE, but the floor isn't horizontally flat, but flat enough for my mountain bike. In my other Type 4 car: Fiat Croma, I could get the floor completely flat. However, the seats were much less substantial.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Have you really used the two foldable locking mechanisms at the back of the seat cushion? If I use them the seat becomes quite flat. The only disadvantage with the 9000 is that the head rests have to be removed before fully folding the backrest (and you cannot remove/reinstall the headrests when the backrest is in its locked vertical position, something that you often forget!). Here there is actually an improvement on the 9-5 (believe it or not!), where the headrests can be lowered into the backrest and you don't have to keep them individually somewhere in the trunk.

Reply to
th

There will be a small web-strapping loop which actuates the catch release. You have to grope through the crack between the seat back and bottom to find it, then pull on that. Once the catch has released the whole seat bottom will slide forward, then you pivot up from the rear (hinges at the front) to tumble up against the backs of the front seats.

See if that helps...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

Getting there. I've found the fabric tabs but haven't tried the moving the seat forward thing yet. I'll give it a shot when I go out this evening. I've been going to auctions lately to get fill in furniture and other stuff -- and finding good stuff at good prices. While you can get a lot of stuff in without putting the seat flat, being able to do that would expand the possibilities of what I can buy. According to the owners manual there's supposed to be some hooks where you hang the headrests after taking them off. Haven't found those yet, either.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

The hooks (holes really) are next to the rear speakers. You will see the rear headrests fit right in there once the seat is down.

HTH

Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

"th" skrev i en meddelelse news:NTotd.123708$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net...

You don't have to keep them somewhere in the trunk! Place them on the pins that holds the seatback!

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

If you are like me and fold the rear seat often and don't carry many adult passengers in the rear, you may want to just remove the headrests and leave themn somewhere safe (like in your garage or attic). For me, they do nothing more than block the rear view which is pretty poor even without the rear headrests. The rear shelf can easily be removed and set to one side to allow maximum cargo, but those darn headrests just always seem to be in the way.

YMMV,

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

RTFM properly and you'll find an answer to everything! Thanks for the tip. I've been annoyed by this for almost 10 years now, maybe it was an habit I picked up from the C900. Could you do the same trick there?

Reply to
th

"Fred W" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

As mentioned: You can simply place the headrests on the pins that hold the back part of the rear seat. And the rear shelf has Saab always made in a size, so that it fits on the floor of the trunk. I usually place mine upside down, so the light fabric doesn't get scratched by the things I move...

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.