Why do bi-xenons dip?

Idle curiosity for a Friday...

In my 2002 9-5 Aero, the bi-xenon headlights have a "shutter" that drops down to block the lights for "low beam." When you turn on the headlights, the shutters dip for a second, then return to their normal low-beam level.

Question: why the dip? What's it doing?

Somewhat related gripe: I sure wish there was a way to adjust the cutoff level of the low-beam shutter. When you're on level ground, following reasonably close to a car, it's perfect. Hits 'em just above the license plate so you don't blind 'em. But if you are coming down a hill, or worse over the top of a hill, the oncoming cars get the full phasers-on-stun force of your unshielded bi-xenons.

Also, the low-beam setting is way too short for highway speeds -- but you can't run the high beams if there are any cars approaching within half a mile. So you end up running half blind to avoid blinding everybody else. Not optimal. I wanna be able to stretch them out a bit so I can see and so can everybody else.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Gary Fritz ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxfrii.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Self-test?

Reply to
Adrian

They are leveling themselves. They have an automatic leveling system installed.

Reply to
Norm

In Europe there's a rheostat on the dashboard which lets you adjust the aim/cutoff of the bi-xenons. Too bad that's not available here in the USA!! Also, in Europe the inboard halogens come on when the bi-xenons are on "bright"...

Anyhow, I adjusted the cutoff on mine just a touch higher (1/4 turn of the adjustment screw--clockwise I think??)--I agree, as they come from the factory, they ARE a bit too low for safe nighttime highway driving...

Headlight adjustment instructions are in your owner's manual, page 240.

best, Jason

Reply to
quadrun1

I suspected as much. But it makes me w> Anyhow, I adjusted the cutoff on mine just a touch higher (1/4 turn

Not ideal, since you can't shorten them when needed, but I may do it anyway.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz