'02 L200 just laid down on the highway

70 mph, speed control on, just laid down like you turned the key off. Wouldn't restart. Cranks ok.

any ideas before the dealer tows it in tomorrow morning?

thanks

steve barker

Reply to
S. Barker

Out of gas?

Reply to
Fred

"Just like you turned the key off" sounds like an electrical problem of some sort. This could include fuel injection, but I'm more inclined to think ignition.

Other fuel delivery problems, such as a failed pump or ruptured fuel line, would produce symptoms similar to running out of gas, not an abrupt shutdown.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My '01 Lw300 needed a crank angle sensor. You won't get a fuel pump trigger (and no fuel pressure) if there is no crank sensor output. A scan tool will quickly diagnose this by no engine RPM detected on cranking. Fuel pump will come on at key on for a half second and will show some pressure on a diagnostic gauge attached to the test port. When cranking, if all else is good, the fuel pressure should increase a bit more (you can do a fuel flow test too if you have the tools to see if the pump is being properly triggered).

Reply to
Oppie

Good, good, and bad.....

Ignition module bad. covered by warranty. Good Tow in covered by warranty. Good Windshield busted out by vandals whilst car sat on the highway overnite. not covered by anything but my pocket. $172. Bad.

steve

Reply to
S. Barker

Sorry to hear of the bad. Please consider AAA. Only a buck a day for same day towing and peace of mind. I used it only once but it saved me a $75 tow charge.

R.

Reply to
John Smithy

my extended coverage covered the tow.

new news though;

the module was a misdiagnosis. the timing chain is broke.

S. Barker

Yikes! How much damage was done to the motor and will your insurance cover it?

Reply to
Oppie

In article , "Oppie" wrote: [top posting corrected]

If you know of any standard auto insurance policies that *do* cover mechanical failure, please let all the rest of know right away.

Reply to
Doug Miller

haven't got it moved from the gmc dealer to the saturn dealer yet. Yes, my extended policy covers the engine. Will update in a few days.

S. Barker

yes, my extended policy covers the engine including timing belt/chain. There's not much on the list it doesn't cover except normal wear items like brakes and belts.

S. Barker

Buying the extended insurance is a crap-shoot. Most times it isn't worth the money. You just saved big-time with this repair even if the glass repair had to come out of your own pocket. Buy a lottery ticket while you're at it...

Reply to
Oppie

I take it you mean extended *warranty*.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I always buy the extended plans on items over say $500. And i always make them pay off. I haven't bought an inkjet printer since 1990, and have had 7 since then. I haven't bought a digital camera since '94 and have had 3. Believe me, if i buy an extended plan, i don't lose money. Although i had nothing to do with this timing chain breaking. I'd just as soon be driving the car actually.

S. Barker

It's actually a third party service plan purchased with the used vehicle. I rekon you could call it what you want.

S. Barker

Back to the windshield. Did you check your comprehensive insurance. Mine covers glass with zero deductible. While changing a wiper blade, I let the wiper arm hit the windshield and is broke. I called the insurance company and they sent someone to my house to fix it the next day - at no cost to me.

Reply to
Son_Worshipper

ya, i called my agent first to review my policy. it's a $1,000 deductible. the windshield was $208. It's done. and the car is at the saturn dealer now getting new timing chains and a cylinder head assembly for a $25 deductible.

S. Barker

I almost never buy an extended plan, but then again I don't buy very much stuff. ;-)

Two years ago my wife bought an extended plan on a Dell printer because the plan was very inexpensive, I think on the order of $10. It has paid off twice.

We also bought a new Civic Hybrid in April. An 8 year 120,000 mile extended warranty was $980. I figure in 8 years or 120,000 miles at least one component which will cost that will need replacement.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

All I can say is I don't know who you buy your inkjets from, but I've had mine for the better part of 7 or more years (Canon i850) and it hasn't let me down once. Nor has my dads 'retired' LaserJet III that's still kicking today. I still sport some of the fastest prints and cheapest inks. Maybe instead of throwing your money and time away trying to exercise extended warranties you should just find quality products instead.

Just my two cents.

-Brian

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

I"m still using the HP895 csi. I would hardly call any canon inkjet printer a 'quality' product.

S. Barker