Ford Galaxy TDi Losing Power

Hi all,

my 99V Ford Galaxy 1.9DTI (110BHP) loses power if you accelarate hard up a hill. It's like a swicth has been flicked, and after you feel it "go" it is sluggish and will hardy pull up long hills until you restart the engine. Switching off the engine and restarting cures it (until the next big hill). If you simply try to maintain speed up hill, it seems ok and it is usually very responsive under acceleration on the flat.

I've seen a few posts about the Mass Air Flow Meters (MAF?) being an issue on these cars, but wouldn't that make it sluggish all the time, not just after you've asked for some power uphill? I can't understand what would cause it to "switch"...

Any help very gratefully received.

Thanks

Phil H

Reply to
philip.hindmoor

If the engine suddenly goes flat right across the rev band after asking for full power (up the hill) then you have a turbo boost control problem, and the ECU is entering LOS mode.

If its flat all the time (hill or not) then suspect the MAF.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim,

that's exactly it! Should I be taking out a mortgage to get this repaired? Is there a control unit that needs to be replaced, or is it a new turbo job?

Many Thanks

Phil

Reply to
philip.hindmoor

Sounds like the Turbo has failed.

I would get it diagnosed by a dealer or someone with VAG-COM it most likely will say 'Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation'

Depending on the part number, Turbo Active are £351 - £546 + VAT which cheaper than VW/Ford (see under VW Sharan)

Reply to
A C

Would it still be fairly nippy around town in 2nd/3rd gear if the turbo had failed totally?

Reply to
philip.hindmoor

problem, and

Not sure if this is any help but it sounds like a problem with the variable vane thingy on the turbo. I think it is being discussed at

atthe moment. The guy there is stripping down his turbo to free stickingvanes. He was having the same prob as you but only when cold...

Reply to
richard

Thanks Richard, I'll keep an eye on that!

Reply to
philip.hindmoor

Take a look at

There's a VNT turbo stripdown on there. You almost certainly have a sticking VNT causing overboost and then the ECU shuts off the turbo. Interestingly, Turbo technics claim that the turbo can't be stripped and rebuilt without expensive test gear and reccomend a new turbo, but they would say that.......

It might not be the turbo itself anyway. You should check the VNT mechanism for movement (probably best from below), and check the vacuum piping and N75 valve. It probably *is* the turbo though :-(.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It will probably be OK much of the time until driven hard- then the turbo overboosts.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

As also seen in a recent Car Mechanics magazine concerning a clocked Sharan, except the turbo was also very shot as well. Same symptoms and limp home mode engaged.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Would it still be fairly nippy around town in 2nd/3rd gear if the turbo had failed totally?

Define 'failed' ?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

. snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

/3rd gear if the turbo

ok, seems like a job for my local VAG-COM equipped mechanic. Thanks guys

Reply to
philip.hindmoor

check out

rich

Reply to
richard

Thanks for your input everyone. My mechanic has had a look, and despite suspecting the worst (turbo) tried all the hoses first. Found two split hoses. With these replaced she's running on top form again.

Many Thanks.

Reply to
philip.hindmoor

replying to philip.hindmoor, Mohammed ali wrote: Can any one help with the a bove mention problem please .

Reply to
Mohammed ali

Your posts references a Punto so is the problem with a Galaxy or Punto?

You post has this reference.

alan_m

Also, it was asked in 2005, so it's either been fixed or is on the scrapheap by now.

Reply to
Davey

Given how long ago it was and that neither car in question was new at the time there is a very high chance that both have been fixed in 2005 and scrapped sometime since.

Reply to
Peter Hill

that doesmnt answer why it goes away if u switch off and on....

Reply to
mdd5859

14 years later do you think anyone cares?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+