1993 Saturn SL2

"Check Engine Light" comes on from time to time. I've had a mechanic check it with his diagnostic computer it said the EGR vavle was bad, he replaced it, about a year later the check engine light came on from time to time. Then it was the O2 sensor, it was replaced. As I said, the light is on again and off again after about 2 years. The mechanic I had has gone into a different line of business, still in cars, but a machine shop.

We are thinking about taking a trip across country in September and I'm wondering if I should consider getting another car if this problem keeps coming back with the car we have now. By the way the car has 112,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Canuck1

Not dissing on your car, but that much driving sounds like you need a much roomier and fun car to drive cross country. Might want to look at renting a car with unlimited mileage.

hth,

tom @

tom

Usually the computer wont say, this or that is bad, it will say something to the effect of to rich, to lean, slow, or faulty. EGR's can get carboned up and they can be cleaned and O2 sensors are usually a symptom of a larger problem. If your 02 sensor thinks the engine is running to rich it just might be. Replacing it wouldnt be a fix.

If you can give us the actual codes that were set that would help. Your engine could just be building up to much carbon from your driving habits or from long term oil consumption. Not a lot of info to go on here.

Reply to
blah blah

Based upon what blah blah says, try getting a BG engine cleaning treatment at your dealership or if you want, try adding Techron to your gas to clean out the fuel system. This helped out with our '93 SL1 which had a similar problem. Knowing what codes your engine is producing is helpful too. If you are a do it yourselfer, you can also get an inexpensive OBDI code reader and Haynes manual at any auto parts store (or jump the connectors with a wire).

marx404

Reply to
marx404