1995 Saturn SL1 transmission problems

I have a 95 Saturn that now has about 90K miles on it. I haven't had any major problems with it in the 5 years I have owned it. But, now I am having transmission troubles. When shifting (I have automatic), it 'slams' into gear. It only does this after the engine has warmed up, not while it is cold. I try to lessen the 'slam' by slowly accelerating from a stop position, sometimes this works, sometimes not. Getting ready to take it to a tranny shop for an eval to decide whether or not to get it fixed or just buy a new car. I've heard that a lot of people have been having this same type of trans problem with their Saturns and want to know how their's got resolved. Trying to gauge how much this may cost me. Any input would be great!

Reply to
mstrieg

you have a bad valve body. My use to slam into reverse when hot. When shifting into gear, put it in neutral,then into reverse slowing, wait a second then accelerate. a lot like you are doing now. I had my replaced after a while, cost $600. But won't hurt your car if you left it like it. Get the filter and fluid changed. This sometimes helps, and is a lot cheaper. Mine is also a 95. My 2000 is standard, so no problems with that one. Good luck

Reply to
Shawn

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured it would cost a bit. As long as it doesn't hurt, sounds like I'll be better off just driving it the way it is, just be careful like I have been. At least it gives me an excuse to get a new car in a few months!

Reply to
mstrieg

Reply to
Jason

How much was that to fix?

Reply to
mstrieg

I paid a Saturn shop $282 to replace the input shaft nut a couple years ago (after putting in a $400 valve body myself - which made NO difference).

Reply to
Chasberry