1995 SL broken steering rack

On my 1995 Satrun SL steering rack broke and resulted on completely loose steering wheel disconnected from wheels. We were extremely lucky this happened on parking lot and not on Hwy, we couldn't steer the car at all, steering wheel was completely disconnected from wheels. Had the car towed to dealer, nobody believed my story until they checked themselves. Now they telling me it takes about $800 CDN to fix. Anybody heard something like that happening? I'm going to complain GM because this should not happen even on 8year old car, real safety hazard. How can I trust other components on that car?

Reply to
Jack

There was a recall on the 95 Saturns just for this reason. You should check it out. I seen this on one of the Saturn or Gm recalls. I own a 95 also, thats why I took interest in it. Good Luck "

Reply to
Shawn

Here it is. Only a certain VIN range, with manual steering, was affected.

CAMPAIGN: MANUAL STEERING GEAR REPLACEMENT #95-C-01 - (08/30/1994) SUBJECT: MANUAL STEERING GEAR REPLACEMENT

YEAR and MODEL: 1995 SATURN SL MODELS

DEFECT INVOLVED

Saturn has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1995 SL models equipped with manual steering. Some of these vehicles may have been built with a steering gear pinion shaft that was improperly heat-treated by our supplier. This shaft could fracture during vehicle operation. If this were to occur, steering control would be lost and a vehicle crash could occur without prior warning. To correct this condition, Saturn will replace the manual steering gear assembly in these vehicles.

Most of the affected vehicles are in Retailer inventory and have not been delivered to customers. However, we are contacting owners of affected, delivered vehicles and assisting them in making arrangements with a Saturn Retailer to have their vehicle transported to a Retail facility for service. Owners are being advised not to drive the vehicles until repairs have been completed.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

The following Saturn vehicles will require this campaign:

Certain 1995 Saturn SL model vehicles within the following VIN range will require this campaign:

SZ119029 through SZ129713.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thanks, It was the same problem and they fixed it for free, however they said my car wasn't on recall serial number list, so this defect must have been more wide spread. Scary, anybody who owns 1995 SL check your steering, if it's even possible to check before it breaks.

Reply to
Jack