Ford's Kill List

Some interesting commentary:

Reply to
NoOption5L

While I have not done so, have you also gone through the list of GM products and compiled a list of the models they have killed off?

Reply to
Spike

No idea where you found this "gem".... kindest thing would be to put it back.

"killing" actual models...... I have no idea hwere that term originates.... The Galaxie died a long time ago - Ford has only the Crown Vic left as a car with a full perimeter frame. What do you think the sales figures would be on a modern day Galaxie (not some horrid Monte Carlo/GTO/Charger type quest for sales - but a full on 4000+ pound rear wheel drive, big V8 monster).... for an answer, we only need to look as far as the last incarnation of the Marauder....

Times change and consumer tastes change.... The 500 - it's a Taurus but it's not a Taurus.... Windstar became Freestar (from 50 feet I can't tell the difference). The Freestyle was born.... what would they call it... it ain't a Fairlane, it ain't a Cougar.... it is a totally new concept as far as Ford is concerned. It's not a van, it's not an SUV, it isn't replacing anything directly.....

Every auto maker is looking for a "hook"... that mystical something that will stir a consumers juices enough to lay down coin of the realm.... The PT Cruiser, the HHR and that goofy looking almost a pick-up truck that Chevy is peddling...

The author has some real trouble distinguishing between car LINES and car MODELS.... Chrysler killed the Plymouth and Ford pretty much killed Mercury because the marques put them in direct competition with themselves.... Look at the Chevy and GMC pick-ups.... Some folks think that the GMC is a much better truck than the Chevy... even though they are built from the same parts.....

Then there are those things that need to die... desparately need to die.... Most of you are too young to remember the Olds Firenza and the class action lawsuit it fostered..... The Cadillac Cimarron (I don't care if your Cavalier has leather seats.... it ain't a luxury car)....

Things that died early..... the final years of the Corvair showed some (IMHO) awesome styling cues.... They were fairly nice to drive - powerful in the Spyder trim but they fell victim to Ralph Nader and those people that think they know how to drive fast but really don't know how to drive fast....

The mass produced automobile is nearly 100 years old..... I don't think there's is a whole lot of "adventure" left, but technology is moving way too fast...

Reply to
Jim Warman

A couple of observations:

  1. Models, car names, come & go. Some go for ever. Can anyone say Edsel? Some leave the scene to come back reinvented, reincarnated.

  1. Plymouth was once upon a time a standalone manufacture, became part of a larger whole and then was completely discontinued as a brand. Just like GM killed off the Oldsmobile. The list of dead car companies is quite extensive. Remember AMC?

  2. Many models of one marquee are simply guised up versions of one of the parent companies other models. i.e. the Aviator is just an Explorer in evening wear. Same thing applies to the Navigator, Escalade and many other so-called premium or luxury lines. Nothing other then guised up lower-end models. In order to bring back the Aviator all Ford would have to do is fancy up the current Explorer again.

Just some of my less then astute quick observations. I am quite sure there are plenty of other examples.

Reply to
Zombywoof

Seems to me I was just reading something about the Taurus continuing to be built in large quantity, to satisfy demand through rental and fleet sales. Still one of the most popular rentals for travelling business folks.

Throughout its lifespan, the Taurus (and, for that matter, the Escort) has proven that it was hardly a failure.

But times change, corporate philosophy changes, and they move on to new models with new characteristics demanding new name badges.

I don't really read anything into this.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

They deserve to be. Now if they would only bring over the falcon/fairline from down under to replace them.

It was blah.

Lincoln trucks. Who cares?

It's called 'focus' now.

Marketeer neglect.

It will return at some point I'm sure.

It deserves to die.

Don't know too much about it, comment seems consistant with ford.

The two door contour was a good idea, one I had back in '96 in fact. but calling it cougar was a mistake. Making a new mustang based cougar may be a good idea if there is a market for it that won't hurt mustang.

It's a minivan.... blah.

True.

Instant collectable.

They would have worked if Ford marketed them properly. Instead they tried to sell them as if they were upgraded Tempos and Topazes. They were not the A-to-B basic toasters that they replaced. They were good driving cars that should have been marketed as such.

They were mostly large volume crap compared to what ford sells in other markets.

Focus.

It would be called Cougar... see above.

I guess they made the bobcat so why not?

Reply to
Brent P

The Marauder was executed poorly. What I saw was a blacked out old man's

4 door grand marquis / crown vic. I didn't see a galaxie 500XL or a Marauder. I saw an old man's car trying to look cool. It had 2 too many doors and too formal of a roofline. Keep in mind there is a good deal of difference between a Marauder and a galaxie 500 XL in convertible or fastback form.
Reply to
Brent P

"Brent P" wrote

They are 2 completely different vehicles.

It would have to be different enough not to directly compete with the Mustang, just like the original of '67. Yes it was a pony car, but it was about luxury with balls. The Mustang was never about luxury.

It'd be exactly like the Neon. They didn't even bother changing the name between Plymouth and Dodge. Or the "cloud cars" between Plymouth, Dodge, and Chrysler. Same EXACT car with a different name and a few different options. What a complete waste!

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

That is one of those if you have to ask questions...

:-)

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Part of the reason for this is Ford has decide NOT to allow fleet (& rental) sales of the Taurus's successor, the Five Hundred. That doesn't leave many options.

By the way, I just had a new Taurus (1600 miles) rental car this week, the damn thing would only accommodate driver and passengers of a about 5'8" or so. It was so cramped inside I could not believe it. The new Mustang has more leg room, at least the length between the front seats and the firewall. The space was very disappointing.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Reply to
razz

I must admit I have never driven one, but based on looks alone, the redesigned Thunderbird was lucky to survive as long as it did. I never could have gotten past the ugly looks to ever drive one. I think the looks of this body were a god awful abortion, it looks like it might appeal to the Miata crowd or something. Every time I see one (witch is almost never) on the road, I can't help but wonder how that ugly thing survived as long as it did...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Mea Clupa, missed an "s", but do you think it would have helped if I used the proper spelling of gussied?

Reply to
Zombywoof

No shit. There were at least a couple completely different escorts. pinto-escort-focus, same place in the line up.

I addressed that in 'above' part.

Reply to
Brent P

Only for a short while. Most Capris were fords imported from other markets.

Reply to
Brent P

Actually, you're a dumbass who obviously doesn't know his pony car history or pay attention very well. Try reading what I wrote AGAIN and this time pay attention to the year I was talking about and more specifically the first gen COUGARS!! f-ckin lameass!

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

"Brent P" wrote

Yes, the same place when it comes to "entry level" in all sense of the term. But you made it sound like you were saying they were the same platform, just rebadged. THAT's what I thought you were talking about.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I can tell you never drove one..... this was NOT an old mans car. And it was NOT poorly executed - it was the wrong car for the times. Plain and simple...

As for the late Marauders, you are right that there is a world of difference between it and the Galaxie (and I don't recall specifically mention the

500XL - only one of a few model variants) - it might have something to do with the 30 or 40 intervening years. You do realize that the original Mercury Marauder shared a lot with the Galaxie?

FWIW, I didn't post this useless article, I merely commented....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Forget "AMC"... does anyone remember the Nash and then the Nash Rambler and then the Rambler????

What would a 2006 Hudson or Studebaker look like? Anyone ever seen a Borgward?

Instead of seeing suspicious things regarding car names, I see too many journalism grads looking for any excuse to avoid doing real work for a living...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I heard the name Chevy Corsica mentioned today. That, and its companion two-door version, the Beretta... Ahhhh, now THERE was a piece of automotive beauty.

dwight

Reply to
dwight