Drivebelt 1996 Saturn SC1

My daughter's Saturn SOHC drivebelt is making a clicking sound (150000 miles) and I am about to change the belt. I have not worked on this car before ( no manual) is there anything special about Saturn that should know before I try this. Thanks Ernie

Reply to
ernie

Fairly simple there Ernie. Just put a wrench to the spring loaded idler, move it one way to release the tension. Take the old belt off, put a new one on and you're done. If you look in the front of the engine compartment, there should be a little sticker that shows you how to do this..

Alex

Reply to
navaidstech

rent the special tool you'll need to do the job.. that belt is a real b**tch to get to without one. I've seen people do it from beneath but that is a lousy option.. best option and simpleist I have seen has been to jack the engine.. take off the upper mptpr mount and get to it that way.

Reply to
p_vouers

I guess 96 is different from the 92, eh? All I ever needed was a wrench to release the idler tension and I was done in less than 15 minutes.

alex

Reply to
navaidstech

No need to remove anything but the belt. Work from above, You can rotate the tensioner from the top to release the belt tension. I don't recall the bolt head size, it was either 13mm or 15mm. Once you have the new belt ready to go on, rotate the tensioner to allow the belt to go back on. 15 minutes start to finish.

James

Reply to
James1549