1996 SL - opinions needed! Lemon, or no?

I have a 1996 Saturn SL with 5 speed manual transmission. The car was bought new and so far I have had to replace the following components:

water/coolant pump radiator transmission clutch fuel pump (twice) engine temperature sensor engine pcv (?) engine air cleaner engine breather engine spark plug wiring (?)

My car is currently in the shop, and they have listed the last four items on this list as the current problems. I am assuming that this repair record is highly atypical. Is it? I know that manual clutches need replacement after long use, but what about the other things?

Joel

Reply to
Joel

Pump is normal, temp sensor, pcv, air cleaner and breather,plug wires all normal to replace.. Clutch is also normal, depending on your driving. Transmission and rad are a bit odd. I have a 95 with 190,000 klms on it. Rad is perfect. I also have a 2001. There is not much difference in either.

Reply to
Shawn

The only items in that list that are unusual are the fuel pump (twice), transmission and the radiator. I can't imagine what conditions required replacement of the transmission. Saturn manual gearboxes aren't known as a common point of failure. Aside abuse or accident damage, a manual transmission should last the life of the car.

Radiator is unusual, but not out of the ballpark for a car that age. I'd consider that within the realm of "acceptable bad luck". Everything else is pretty much standard, assuming the car has typical mileage for its age.

I'd expect a fuel pump to fail once on a car that age. Twice is suspicious.

The PCV, air cleaner, and breather are normal service items. The spark plug wiring should have been replaced once or twice at this point, but spark plug wires are also a known weak point on S-series cars.

Reply to
Biker Geek

You left us with at least one BIG question. What is the mileage of each repair??????

1.water/coolant pump Not to uncommon before 100k miles. Its a 96, if you havent kept up with coolant service or the pH balance went off from contamination they can be damaged. 2.radiator Uncommon but then what was the problem? A hit from a stone?

3.transmission Why/reason? and how many miles?

4.clutch Mileage? Your experiance with manuals? Same time as transmission replacement?

5.fuel pump (twice) Sounds like you have a bad habbit of running on gas fumes.

6.engine temperature sensor Not uncommon.

7.engine pcv (?) Can be cleaned out with degreaser and reused.

8.engine air cleaner Depends on conditions. If you work at a dusty construction site yeah its going to need replaced a lot. You can surely check and replace this yourself cant you??? Dirty air doesnt make cars lemons.

9.engine breather Uh same as above.

10.engine spark plug wiring (?) Usually every 40k you need to do the wires and every 80k you need to do the plugs "IF" they are platinum.

With the lack of info you provided you can hardly make a case of a lemon here. Check your owners manual for service intervals. Sounds like you havent read it.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Fwiw, my '96 with 120,000 miles never has had the coolant changed, no hoses, no radiator changes either. Maybe I'll give it water once in a blue moon.

However, it has had several batteries (last only about 2 years in our heat), a top engine mount, a valve cover gasket (oil in spark plug wells), one vaccum line somewhere behind engine, pvc (normal service item), air filters (every 20,000 miles or so), 4 brake jobs (normal city wear), one spare tire (Firestone that blew out badly in the trunk well in hot weather!), alternator (90,000 miles), several EGR valve cleanings along with a few throttle body scrubbings.

Oh, they do use oil too. Just get used to that. Maybe 2-3 of quarts between my 4,000 mile changes.

All said, it has held up far better and more economical than the Ford's I've had by 10 fold.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

"Shawn" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

agreed, esp. if the coolant hasn't been changed. Pump is pretty hearty, but I've replaced one on a friends '95 @ 120K mi. Temp sensor, same as the pump. The other stuff is scheduled maint. stuff.

mine lasted 95K, with the 1st 55 being driven by the 1st owner(s), which I'm all but positive was a bunch of teenagers (car came w/ 4 keys...), and the next 40K being me flogging the car on track and the street.

Transmissions, unless you abuse the syncros or do smokey burnouts are damn bulletproof. The 28 cent roll pin in the dif is the weak link for wheelspin.

Radiators, well, the plastic end tanks tend to crack. I know of several that have cracked in the exact same spot. I just replaced mine Friday.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Water pump: not uncommon. I changed it on my 95 SC2 when I did the engine just b/c it was cheap and easy. $25

Radiator: Replaced it twice. Once due to the side plastic tank cracking and causing a leak, then the replacement rusted on the bottom and started leaking. ~$125 but I get a deal from a body shop.

Clutch: Not uncommon depending on the mileage. I would consider this a wear item that will have to be changed on all stickshifts eventually. I replaced the disk on mine when I did the engine(because it was apart, although the old one wasn't even close to worn). Then again did a whole clutch job 50k miles later at ~200k when the pressure plate fingers bent over from being worn too thin. $55 disc - $150 kit.

Transmission: Sounds like you're hard on your car. Generally manual transmissions don't break on their own. Parts are cheap for a stickshift if you just fix whats wrong.

Fuel pump: Odd. Ever run it out of gas?

Temp sensor: Very common. Replaced once on my car. $12

PCV/air cleaner/breather/plug wires: All are wear items. All can be replaced for less than $40.

You forgot to tell us the mileage on this vehicle. I'm going to hazard a guess and say its well over 100k. Probably closer to 150k.

Your car isn't a lemon. Most of what you describe other then trans and fuel pump are fully expected to need service on a car that age. And maybe the user had something to do with why those went......

Reply to
BANDIT2941

You left us with at least one BIG question. What is the mileage of each

I have 99k miles on it. And I have performed regular services until they closed their facility in Marina Del Rey. Some of the repairs had to be at their location since mechanics don't have access to some of their parts/diagnostics.

Transmission - I do not know. I don't do much highway driving, mostly city stop and go. I spoke to Saturn about this and such a thing is not out of the realm of possibility.

Clutch - I was told this is fairly typical, esp. with city driving. I am very good with the clutch, and the only cars I have ever driven were manuals.

Pump - I have run on fumes 2 or 3 times in the car's lifetime. The first time it happened was because of my discovery that the tank empties before the gas meter reaches the "E". Now that I know, this has not happened in several years.

I only listed the last 4 since that is what they just fixed - not really part of my "case evidence".

BTW I was not trying to make a case, notice the question mark in the subject field. I was simply asking for feedback. Thank you for yours.

Reply to
Joel

Yes, cracked radiator. No smokey burnouts though.

Reply to
Joel

The clutch job price you list sounds really cheap. Saturn wanted to charge me over a grand to replace the clutch on mine. Maybe it is a big labor cost. Who knows. As of today I got it back now it is driving just fine.

Reply to
Joel

yeah but looking at it sounds like a good reason to buy a Honda or Toyota. For example, on my Toyota Corolla my alternator never failed either, nor radiator, not the tranny, and not the fuel pump, ever, and I drove it for 109k miles. And I really didn[t take very good care of it either

Reply to
SA

There wasnt enough info in that message to impress anyone. As if we cared anyhow. 109k is very mild mileage.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Reply to
George Wilson

Its 9 years old!

pcv - gets gummed up with age. Cheap to replace. air clearner? of course, every year or 2 spark plug wires, yes every 10 years or 100,000 mile which ever comes first....lol breather - don't know

Your clutch should go 80-120 depending on how you drive. No you have saved a lot of car payments by repairing this car.

Reply to
Mike