1996 volkswagen motor problems

hey guys i picked up a 1996 volkswagen jetta 2.0(manual trans) with180k this summer.I plan to put a 16 valve motor in once i reach

200 k but i dont know if it is just a bolt in swap can i keep the same harness,transmission and motor mounts .Anyways I just started driving it. The car runs but with small problems that are driving me crazy becuase i cant figure them out .The first problem is the car idles but has a intermittent missat low rpm ,the second is that it lacks power in the lower rpms its like its hesitating while im giving it throttle to about 3000 rpm then after that u feel the difference i took it to a local mechanic and he put the OBD2 scanner on it and got 5 differnt codes p0501 (vss signal out of range),P0172(system to rich bank one),p0300(miss fire detected),p0304(missfire cylinder 4)and p440(EVAP system problem. i was told that the misfres may be due to bad distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires and a exhuast leak that i had from the joint were the cat converter connects to main pipe. I replaced all of the spark plugs as well as the distributor and spark plug wire and fixed the exhaust leak (it was just a missing clamp).I alsoran a whole tank with fuel injection cleaner ,replaced the timing belt, water pump, fuel filter and cleaned throttle body. Took it for a drive and same problem , so then i took it back to mechanic to get scanned and nothing has changed. can any body help me all in put is welcome i just want my car to run right thanx
Reply to
motoboi

automatic trans? did you fix the vss problem? is it shifting thru all the gears?

Reply to
Steve Austin

manual trans and it is shifting thru all the gears

Reply to
motoboi

"motoboi" wrote: (1996 VW Jetta 2.0 180k manual trans)

1.) The car idles with an intermittent miss at low rpm. 2.) It lacks power in the lower rpms as if it's hesitating until above 3000 rpm where it runs better.

I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor, timing belt, water pump, and fuel filter. I cleaned the throttle body and fixed an exhaust leak (it was just a missing clamp), and I ran through a whole tank of fuel with fuel injection cleaner added. There was no improvement.

A local mechanic's OBD2 scan got the following codes:

p0501 (vss signal out of range) P0172 (system too rich bank one) p0300 (misfire detected) p0304 (misfire cylinder 4) p440 (EVAP system problem)

I just want my car to run right. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Another question: Later, I want to put a 16 valve motor. Is it a bolt-in swap keeping the harness, transmission and motor mounts? ________________________________________________________

If it still misfires after a complete renewal of the ignition parts:

1.) Misfires and hesitation at low rpm, stronger running at high rpm could be symptoms of a vacuum leak - cracked hose, loose throttle body, bad pcv valve, EVAP system, IAC, or EGR.

2.) It could be a fuel mixture problem - defective injectors or defective sensors causing the Engine Control Computer to send the wrong fuel flow to the injectors.

I don't know anything about the engine swap.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan