Talon (TURBO AWD) or 3000GT (SL)

So, Eagle AWD turbo or Mitsubishi 3000GT SL I've heard good and bad thigs about both, but more about the Talon... (most likly about its AWD and Turbo problems) They have around the same horsepower, and around the same price and milage (116,000 to

120,000) So..anybody have any tips..to help me make my choice? OH! the Talon is a 1995 and the 3000GT is a 1993.. So..thanxx
Reply to
menace2sociaty

I can't comment on the Talon, but am an owner of a 1991 Mitsu 3000GT SL (non-turbo, high output 222HP) that has about 130K miles. It has been an exceptionally reliable vehicle and other than 3 sets of replacement tires, 3 sets of brakes, and multiple batteries has only required replacing the alternator and an air intake servo.

That said, the 60K mile "required maintenance" is very, very expensive so the car you are looking at with 120K is most likely coming due. This requires replacement of the very difficult to access timing belt, the expensive water pump, and expensive platinum spark plugs that also require removal of the intake manifold. You most likely will also need to replace all the rubber hoses and the ignition wires/cables if they have not been done yet. The complete 60K maintenance noted here without the wires and hoses will most likely set you back about $400 in parts alone and well over $1000 if performed at the dealer.

In addition, the early 3.0L V6's had a lot of valve problems so sound very noisy until they warm up completely and get the oil flowing to the upper portion of the engine. They also are known to consume oil and leak quite a bit as well.

My bottom line message here is that the 3000GT is a real blast to drive and if its in good shape should be reliable, but would be an extremely poor choice if you are on a tight budget or can't do the maintenance work yourself. If you do elect to purchase one, then I highly recommend that you purchase the factory service manual which you can find reasonably priced in CD-ROM format online.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to