2000 SL1 Gas Pedal Sticking

My 2000 SL1 has been very trouble free even at 151K miles.

Recently, I have to give the gas pedal a hard tap to 'free' it. Once I do that, it works freely but if I am off the gas for over a minute such as at a traffic light, the pedal needs another hard tap. Does something need a shot of WD-40?

Reply to
Nobody

HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Sticking butterfly - clean throttle body.

Reply to
BläBlä

Yes, get some spray carb cleaner and spray it into throttle plate area while opening throttle a bit to keep it from stalling. This is pretty common with Saturns and as they get older it tends to do it more often anf the main cause it the cranlcase breather vent located just above the throttle valve it the source for the deposit material. Old engine with TBI or carbs kept throttle plates wet with fuel and largley pervented this but the plate on the Saturn is dry except for vapor from crankcase. BTW, I clean the throttle plate area on my Saturn about once or twice a year as needed.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Actually, I do it with the engine off, so I can hold the butterfly open and scrub off all that carbon build up. Smokes like a son-of-a-gun when you start it up, but it clears up in a minute, and the car is much happier.

Reply to
Kevin

If you do it while engine is on there is no need to brush it with correct cleaner and it takes about 30 seconds or less to clean it too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Uh huh- and do you get all the gunk off the edges? takes me less than 5 minutes, and does a much better job. you can do it your way, I'll do it mine.

Reply to
Kevin