Gas pedal sticking

When I push on the gas pedal from a dead stop, it sticks, as if you cannot push it down at all, then will free itself, allowing the car to accelerate. This is the only time it sticks. Any suggestions, or anyone else having this problem?

Reply to
Kristi

The pedal uses a bowden-cable (usually called a 'throttle cable or accerlator cable'), the same design as a bicycle handbrake cable, only slightly larger, to operate the throttle on the motor. If it has lost some of its lubrication or is kinked or has started to fray (the inner wire), it will stick

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

What car model? On some it means a throttle body cleaning is in order.

Reply to
Art

It is a 1997 Camry

Reply to
Kristi

It's the butterfly valve sticking in the throttle body. Haynes repair manual shows how to clean it. Basically, a rag, an old toothbrush, and emissions control safe carburetor cleaner. Or, you could disconnect the water lines, unbolt it from the intake manifold, and clean it once removed from the vehicle. If you take it to the Dealer, that's the way they clean the throttle body.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I don't doubt that is what happening, but to be sure, she could get the cable removed from the throttle bell-crank and test the throttle for free-oeration or not.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks for all the advice! I cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and it fixed the problem!

Reply to
Kristi