Pedal disassembly

The brake pedal on my buggy ('63 Beetle chassis) was sticking down, and you could feel a lot of resistance in it, so I decided to remove the whole assembly. After taking it apart, I tried a little WD-40, but that didn't do much. I'm looking to take the assembly apart and grease it, but can't see where you unscrew, or remove anything to get it apart. I see the pin at the end of the shaft through the clutch pedal base. I tried knocking it through with a screw driver, but it would not budge. Any tricks to removing that pin? Are they always hard to remove? How are they held in the shaft? Is removing that pin the way to disassemble the assembly? Thanks.

Reply to
Steve G

If you don't wish to take it apart................ You have got to use a LOT of WD-40 to get it "free". You also need to work it quickly back and forth to generate some heat which will allow the lubricant to help break up the rust. I prefer Dura-Lube, over WD-40, spray since to me it lasts longer. If these don't work a torch should heat things up some and it will free up!! MAPP gas is hotter than propane, but Oxy-Acel works best. Once you get it free use a little regular motor oil on it every 2-3 months to keep it lubed.

I have also seen people drill and tap a small hole (Brake Pedal Pivot area) for a grease fitting and grease it regularly too! JMHO

dave

Yeah, that's the pin that holds the whole thing together. Get a drift punch, not a screwdriver, and hold the pedal assembly over a heavy vise to back it up with the jaws apart just enough for the pin to come out though, and carefully but firmly drive the pin out with a properly sized drift punch and a heavy hammer (20oz or so).

I've done this before. The pin is pressed in pretty good, but will come out if you apply the pressure/impact correctly. (The alternative to the drift pin/hammer method is a hydraulic press, but I don't own one of those and I'll bet you don't either!)

Reply to
John Kuthe

yeah, we used a hardened tool steel dow pin under a large arbor press. the 1" dow pin bent before flying out from under the press. man, that thing is in there. i'm not sure what's next, drilling it out?

in the meantime i covered it with WD-40 and that loosened it up quite a bit. it's now almost free floating, but not quite. do you think its worth tearing it apart to get it perfect, or if its loose now and the spring will return it, is that ok? i don't know if i want to hassle with drilling that pin out all to find out that the extra cleaning only got me a little less resistance.

Reply to
Steve G