2003 Vue Engine Fan

I've noticed that my cooling fan kicks in excessively - like when the gauge reads that the engine is at 'normal' temperatures. It only stays on for a few moments, usually when I'm idling (like in a drive thru) and shuts off - and it doesn't appear to lower engine temp like with my SC2. I can imagine that the engine is warm after driving on the highway, and having it kick in that long should cool it down sufficiently - but I'm not seeing any change in the gauge and it does it when the engine reads cool too.

Also I'm hearing a clicking noise from 'under' the car when at stop lights - I think I saw someone else once post something about it and everyone blew it off as exhaust system contraction - but it definitely doesn't sound like that and will come on when the car is idling on my lunch break in 25'F weather - definitely not cooling down from a long drive as it shouldn't be changing temp at all (unless the fan is causing it?) - also the lights dim momentarily with the click noise. It happens about once a minute to once every few minutes.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

The Fan will do this if your dash setting is on defrost or floor/defrost no matter what the temp. Try turning it to vent and see if it continues....

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Good to know, but what the hell is the logic behind this? As far as I know it's usually colder out when you need defrost so this only prevents the car from warming up - thus defrosting. Awesome.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

If you have the defroster on it usually also starts the air conditioner (to dry the air coming in to not fog up the windows inside). The clicking is the AC compressor starting up, which loads the engine, which dims the lights momentarily until the computer boosts the engine RPMs up again to compensate. When the AC is on, the electric fan starts, even if the engine is cold.

Eddie

Reply to
Ed