5W-20?

Hello group

I just got an '05 4-cyl 2WD Ranger XLT, Ford #3 in my stable. It's still getting broken in, at 4800 miles. Such a nice little truck. It's white w/gray int. Thank you, to those here who helped me pick it out.

One of the first things I noticed was the oil weight on the cap - 5W-20... seems awfully thin to me. I am no engineer, and I know testing has been done, but I also know manufacturer's assumptions and models aren't always in line with reality. Some of my bias comes from the fact I've worked mainly on older stuff.

Do you folks just use good 5-20, or is 5-30 better maybe? I am fanatical about oil changes, and use Valvoline. I plan to keep this truck for a good

10 years, so I am concerned about longevity. The little engine will be mostly used like a car's, but there will be occassions when it is just wrung out totally, hauling stuff in the 100-degree heat, sometimes at altitude, etc. Would you use 5-30 or even 10-30 in the summer, or is 5-20 just fine?

Thanks

Reply to
Wound Up

It's designed for 5-20 so that's what I use in my Escape. Walmart has Motorcraft semi-synthetic for around $2/qt. That's what I use along with a Motorcraft filter which they also carry. Some will say they only did it for a bit more mileage, but I figure they have to stand behind thousands of them. They wouldn't spec it if it was going to increase their warranty costs.

Reply to
JimV

Thin oil gets them a SMALL increase in gas mileage so thats what they put on the cap. I saw some 0-20 (YES "0" weight !) oil at Walmart the other day. Use 5-30 or 10-30 if it makes you feel better. I do..even going 10-40 in the Summer in the desert.

Reply to
Rudy

I wouldn't worry about it. My 96 GMC Safari ran 5W-20 from day one to over 160,000 miles. (The engine finally blew a head gasket and is undergoing an engine swap now.)

My V-10 Super Duty has just over 100,000 miles on it, all with 5W-20.

I use Castrol (Dino variety) in all my vehicles.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

The ONLY reason they use 5w20 is to squeak out the last fraction of MPG out of it and nothing more. Use 5w30 or 10w30 if it makes you more comfortable as it will not hurt anything. (I think 5w20 is too thin too for hot summer use too regardless of Fords claims.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I use the 5w-20 on my 04 F150. It works fine. If you do a search on UOA (Used Oil Analysis) you will find that the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend does as well or better than the 5w-30 and 10w30 oils. I have 48k on my truck in all kinds of weather and traffic. I have no oil related or oil usage problems at all.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

The thin oil they recommend is for gas mileage purposes only. There is nothing about the design of the engine that requires it. I use straight 30 in every thing i own and the entire 35 truck fleet I maintain all year around. Some of the fleet trucks are pushing 400k. I won't pour multiviscosity oil on the ground. Much less put it in an engine.

steve barker

Reply to
Steve Barker

My neighbor is a 26-year veteran mechanic, who suggested tight tolerances and small uh... parts of the oil "circuit" as one possible reason.

I use straight 30

Interesting perspective. My father-in-law uses straight 30 in his abused V6 Chivvy pickup. It's got 350k on it, and is usually overloaded, evidenced by the number of clutches he's put in it. Extremely cold starts, i.e., below zero, makes the "5" mean easier starts, and less wear on those starts. Some four bangers have trouble even turning over at those temps with thicker oils. I do believe you, and the guy next door, and others here... after I heard enough of the same thing. I think 5-30 or 10-30 in the summer months of 100+ would be appropriate, and maybe 5w-20 in the winter...

Thanks for your input!

Reply to
Wound Up