92 SL2 engine cooling fan

Here's the deal...I just bought a used 92 SL2 and have already had to replace the radiator. I was driving home from work earlier today and I noticed that the temp gauge was almost in the red. I checked the engine coolant and the radiator, they were fine, then noticed that the cooling fan wasn't kicking on. The relay is ok. I turned on the a/c thinking the fan would come on, but no. Everything seems to be hooked up right, and the fan isn't binding up at all.

Could it be possible that the fan motor is blown?

Does anyone have an estimate on how much a new fan would cost?

Anything is appreciated.

Reply to
Andrew Stone via CarKB.com

Hi,

On your '92, you can read the codes from the computer with a paperclip. When you do this process, the PCM turns on and runs the fan. Even though it sounds like you've already determined yours is bad, it's a 2 minute process that may help to further troubleshoot it. You can see instructions on how to read the codes yourself here:

to Diagnostic Trouble Code Information, and Diagnostic Trouble CodeChart for 1st Gen Saturns. Or, I've heard that you can stopby any Auto Zone and have them read the codes for no charge. Any Haynes or Chilton manual will give additional info on what each code means.

I have no idea what a dealer's parts department charges for a replacement fan motor, but it surely would be more than a salvage yard or eBay.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Sounds like the typical CTS (coolant temp sensor) problem. Not the one for the gauge, the one for the PCM. This signals the PCM for control of the fuel injector pulse width, based on engine temp. The problem is more noticeable when it is cold outside by making the car hard to start. This same PCM signal turns the rad fan relay on and off.

If you check codes there is a code for both hi and lo CTS output. (Code 14 and 15)

You can also apply 12V to the Black/Pink wire at the fan connector. If the fan runs, suspect the CTS as this is known to be a common failure. Very cheap and easy to replace.

Reply to
Mike

The fan motor is easy to replace. I had a winding fail on my 92 SC. It cost $25 to get a new one form the local parts store.

Reply to
Mike

My fan failed as determined by the pink wire jump. Took it to the dealer. Bill was for $175 as I recall, parts and labor. No doubt parts store will be less than dealer parts. When I tried to get the thing out I couldn't figure out the puzzle well enough (seemed too large for the opening) so I turned it over to them. It was a simple "Wait right here and we'll have it right back to you" project. B~

Reply to
B. Peg

The fan motors are wear items. They have non-replacable brushes in them. When those wear out, it's time for a new motor.

A 92? I'd bet that it's time for a new motor.

About $80 from the dealer if I recall correctly. I've had good luck with dealer fan motors. I've had bad luck with "lifetime" warranty motors. (Lifetime - yeah. Lifetime of a fruit-fly!)

My 2¢

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

OK. I've got it figured out for now. The ground cable is fried somewhere, can't figure out where, but that's all it was. I replaced the motor for about $30. Fan still did not work. Took it to a buddy of mine and together we got the fan hooked up to where I turn it on manually through an on/off switch on the dash. it's a fix for now, haven't had any problems with the fan since. I just thought I'd post the results.

Reply to
Andrew Stone via CarKB.com