92 SL2 wheel bearing

How hard is it to change a wheel bearing on a 92 SL2? Would I be able to do it from a Haynes book? Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Faust

You will have to remove the caliper and whole knuckle assembly. Be sure to scribe the strut/assembly lines to maintain alignment camber. Also be careful when pulling off the balljoint.

Suggest you do not even try to press the bearing in/out yourself. Better done by a dealer. Buy the bearing else where and have them press in the new one... far cheaper.

You could also but a used knuckle/bearing from a "recycle yard." for an easy swap, but that will most likely require an alignment cost also.

Reply to
paul

Just did it in my '97

Wheel bearing $34.00 from autozone Pressed in at shop $47.00 Or buy the whole assembly from NAPA for $69.00

Reply to
mr_mahoney

I did my daughters 92SC a couple of years back. Very difficult to devise press at home to accomplish job. I made it work, but next time for me, its worth the cost to have someone else do the pressing, or as suggested, very often you can get the whole assembly for very close to the same cost. More than likely, if you change the assembly though, you will need add the cost of having the alignment done.

Reply to
Mike Martin