92 SL2 - Help, I broke my carseat!!!

My trusty 12-year old '92 SL2, which still seems to be running along fine had a recent injury lately. Last night, while hopping into my car after leaving a party, I leaned back a little on my seat, and heard a loud snapping sound...

...No it wasn't from my spine, but from the car seat. Something broke in there! The top portion of the seat, about a foot or so from the top of the headrest to somewhere down the middle, simply bends back and forth. I don't know what caused it, but I have one of those lower back support cushions on my seat, which probably adds extra pressure to the seat, and also it was rather hot yesterday, so probably the plastic inside got brittle.

Now the burning dilemma: How do I get my seat repaired? I can still drive with that broken seat but fear in the event I get into a high-speed collission, I'd probably end up paralyzed due to whiplash, and I don't want that.

I know taking it to a Saturn dealer would entail a cost that's probably two times more than the actual car is worth, so forget that. What do I do? Go to a scrapyard? How much does a carseat cost? Or can it be repaired somehow?

My seat is a grey cloth seat.

Reply to
Elson Trinidad

scrapyard. Around the Boston area a used seat is about $25.

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Check with your Saturn dealer. This was a recall item a few years back, if I recall. They may not honor the recall now, but you should have received a letter 10 years ago regarding this issue.

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

along fine

broke in

cushions on

probably two

Napalm Heart

The only recall letter I ever got from Saturn was something in the hood that Saturn found caught on fire during some tests (which I did bring in to get fixed), circa '93 or '94. I will check though!

Elson

Reply to
Elson Trinidad

On my 95SL1 Saturn did a recall (though I was never sent a letter letting me know) on the recliner gear teeth. Is that the recall you were referring to?

It sounds to me though that he has actually broken the back rest part of the seat itself.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

Yes. and Id like to add that I'm not a very large or heavy person either (5'6", 180lbs) I called my local dealer today, they said that (after giving him my VIN) there was a seat recall in the 93 and 94 SL2s...But I have a '92. They gave me some number at Saturn to absolutely be sure.

Elson

Reply to
Elson Trinidad

The seat frame probrably snapped. You could take the back off , remove the seat cover and have the frame welded. Any qualified welder ( maybe a body shop or your service center has one) . It is pretty easy to take the pad and cover off . YOu would need a pair of cutters and "hog ring" pliers to put it back together. If I had to pay someone I wouldnt pay more than 1.5 hours labor. Or you could find a "Upull It " salvage yard and buy a seat back. Or Joe at 6thplanet used parts can hook you up.

Reply to
Blue87T

thanks. the Salvage Yard option is my preferred one. I don't know how to remove the seat cover, and besides, a couple of sharp edges have torn through the seat (they don't affect me when driving though, fortunately, though I pray I don't get into a side collision). I'm in the Los Angeles area. There's tons of cars round here, so there's GOT to be a yard with some wrecked early '90s Saturns there.

Reply to
Elson Trinidad