'94 SL1 odometer

My odometer just broke. I called a few local salvage yards and they all asked the same questions: (1) 5-speed or auto, (2) SOHC or DOHC, and (3) mechanical or digital. One speedo/tach cluster was $35.00 (235,000 miles) and one was $60.00 (92,000 miles). My car has 162,800 and I would like to know how I can adjust the odometer on one of the used ones to my current mileage (for accuracy and maintenance reasons), or can mine be repaired?

Reply to
japeacock

A '94 and it just broke? wow, you ae the lucky one. Many 1st gen SLs has a problem with the ODO gear stripping when the reset button was pressed, especially if pressed while the car was moving. That's hiw we broke ours. You can get a replacement gear from 6th planet or do a search on Google for "odometer gears" and you may find something.

Then you can either replace it yourself (not a fun task) or have a mechanic do it for you.

marx404

Reply to
marx404