'95 Heater

Does anyone know what the calibration is on the temperature gauge on a '95 SL2. The gauge rarely reads above 1/4 and usually stays below 1/4 when the car is in motion. When idle, the gauge will go up to 1/2 but will quickly drop to below 1/4 when in motion. The reason I ask is that the heater does not really seem to put out as much heat as I would expect. With the outside temp. around 35-40deg. and the car in motion the temp from the duct is only about 85-90 deg. When in idle and the temp gauge is at 1/2 the duct temp is about 120deg. Does this seem normal or should I suspect the thermostat is stuck open? or that the heater core is clogged? ( wonder what it will be when the outside air temp is down near 0 ) Seems that on other cars that I have owned the duct temp stays pretty constant at around 120deg. Does the Saturn temp run really that much cooler? Just curious what the temp scale on the dash really indicates as far as temp. Any comments?

Jerry

Reply to
JJ

JJ ,

I would replace the thermostat that the dealer will claim never goes bad ( the A-holes )....I paid for a saturn thermostat while the piece of trash was under warrenty after the dealer denied it was the problem , problem instantly fixed after I replaced it until about 3 years later . Same problem , same solution etc...

I will fix or scrap my saturn garbage, sell it and buy a toyota truck ( that is not throwaway like Saturns )

ASE certified, and am THROUGH with Saturns !!!!!

Reply to
tim kettring

I have a '95 Saturn too, with exactly the problem described by JJ. So I took Tim's advice and replaced the thermostat. The gauge reads half-way now and I have what seems to be twice the heat from the heater than I had before.

Fourtunately it's fixed just in time for winter.

P. Wiebe

Reply to
P. Wiebe

Going to replace the thermostat in the next few days after I get the system cleaned out real good. Question, did you use a Saturn part or an aftermarket? Tempted to use a Stant brand (190deg.) available from Advance Auto rather than one from Saturn as the nearest Saturn dealer is about 50mi. Any thoughts?

JJ

Fourtunately it's fixed just in time for winter.

P. Wiebe

Reply to
JJ

I installed a MotoRad p/n 324-185. I can't give any recommendation one way or the other as to whether a Saturn part is better or not because I just installed it. However, it is doing the job right now though. If I were you I'd save the trip and pick up what's closest. It's probably cheaper too.

P.Wiebe

Reply to
P. Wiebe

I'll try the Stant from Advance Auto on Thurs and post the results. Thanks Jerry

P.Wiebe

Reply to
JJ

Changed thermostat with 192deg. from Federated Auto Parts. Temp gauge runs at 1/2 scale now and heater is very warm 130deg air from vent. As long as it doesn't overheat this summer, I'll be a happy camper!!!

Jerry

P.Wiebe

Reply to
JJ