95 SL1 Runs Disturbingly Hot

Greetings, As many other Saturn owners, we've had engine cooling issues for years. Had many repairs and parts replaced, most recently the fan motor. I am still uncomfortable with it generally running from 1/2 to

3/4 on the temp gauge, when I remember that it originally ran from 1/4 to 1/2. It never runs under 1/2 when the air cond is running. I'm thinking of replacing the heat sensor and the themostat before taking a long trip through the desert SW this fall. Any other ideas for improving this performance? jm
Reply to
drfugawe

taking

What year car? Is there scale in the radiator from using hard water? Do you have a stick or automatic? You might want to consider replacing the radiator if your answers to these questions are that it's older, hard water was used, and/or you have an automatic. An auto contributes its own heat to the coolant and the coil that the trans fluid runs through can get brittle.

Just a few ideas. A good place to start would be the sensor that send its signal to the gauge. I like to start with the cheaper and simpler, as most likely do.

Best Wishes,

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Reply to
drfugawe

If the 95 Saturns have two separate coolant temperature sensors, then replace the one that goes to the computer.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

In a pinch, you can cause the radiator fan to run all the time. Just disconnect the a/c plug at the compressor to the clutch, then turn on the a/c. The computer turns the fan on, but the a/c doesn't come on because the clutch is unplugged. So you'll have the fan on as long as either the sensor wants it or the a/c is 'on'. I did this once when the car was getting too hot, then got home and noticed the big bag sucked in the front :/

So, check for a bag or other obstruction when you try this. (The big hint is no air blowing from the fan :)

Well, it works on my '93, YMMV.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski