Saturn SL1 2002

Hi, I just purchased a 2002 Saturn Sl1 last week. I noticed, after a week of driving it, that when I first start it up, it sounds louder. When it warms up (usually about 2 miles) it then purrs like a kitten. Is this normal? This is my first Saturn and I also don't know much about cars. I have an 18,000 mile warranty but I was wondering if this is normal before I contact the dealership. I have had many old undependable vehicles, so I am wondering if this is just me being afraid something is wrong with my new one. Other then that the car runs like a dream. It also has 69,000 miles on it and it is a 5 speed manuel. The dealership said they inspect all their cars thouroughly before selling and fixing anything that needs fixing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
sable024

My two seem like that, especially this time of year when it is colder. Summer months are not really much of a problem.

My 95 is ready to roll over 200000 klms, my 2000 has 66000klms. Good cars in my opinion. Make sure oil is full at all times. I check mine more than any other car i have owned. Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Now that you mention that, I didn't really notice it when we test drove it last week, but it was also alot warmer here last week so it probaly wasn't doing it. That makes sense. Thanks for your reply......:)

Reply to
sable024

Probably timing chain which is not as quiet as a timing belt particularly when cold. Good reason to idle for a couple of minutes and take it easy for the first few miles until engine reaches operating temp. Your engine will thank you for it.

Reply to
Private

When I start my Saturn, it sometimes sounds like a kid beating on a set of pots with a spoon. Often made worse when the outside temp is very cold. As it warms up, the 'metalic' sounds dissappear and sounds right. So, I'm guessing your experience and mine are normal, since I've had my exhaust system checked by the dealer.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom