95 SW2 Wagon

Hi,

First time posting here. I just bought a 95 Saturn SW2. I knew it had an engine problem before I bought it. I am prepared to change the engine; but, before I do I have a few questions about what typically goes wrong with these engines.

First, Cylinder 4 has no compression. The engine looks great under the valve cover and my guess is that it was well maintained. Cams and chain also look great. So here is my real question, What is more common on these engines Burnt valves or actual piston / ring problem.

I will probably pull the head this weekend. I'm just curious what typically fails.

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to
Ray Kultgen

Coked rings from what I've read...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Reply to
Blah blah

I pulled the head yesterday and No 4 cylinder is bad. Rings are visible from the top. Looks like maybe a bad episode of starting fluid.

Cylinders 3,2, and 1 are looking bad also. The head may be OK; but, it was beat pretty bad from the pistons coming apart.

I was surprised it ran the way it did. The engine is done. Looking for swap engine now. Possibly newer year if everything works out.

How good are the 02 engines, big improvement or just newer?? I am considering the conversion.

Thanks

Ray

Reply to
Ray Kultgen

I'd expect to see a burnt exhuast valve and seat. with any luck you can have the head rebuilt. If the cylinder wall is scored, you probably have a broken ring. Good luck with the tear-down.

Reply to
Oppie