What is a resonable Max miles I should expect from 95 SW2?

I have an SW2 that is still doing pretty well at 164,000 miles. I've been pretty good about keeping it up with my services, but I have an expensive service coming up. My friends that tell me that the car will likely be having some serious trouble in the near future as is 'typical' of Saturns. I have been giving some thought to moving onto a new (used) car but would keep this one a while longer if it is a reasonable thing to do. I've tried asking how long these cars typically last at Saturn sations and they always come back with that the cars will last as long as you take care of them well. I realize that there are people who drive their cars 400,000 miles, but I really would like to get a better idea what might be considered typical.

Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

I think you've more than gotten your money's worth out of this car.

If there's no rust on the car, might as well keep fixing it as long as there are still parts available. If you have a well-maintained used car, well, how much does it cost to go out and buy another well-maintained used car? Probably a lot more than it costs to do the occasional bit of repair to the car you have.

Bill

Reply to
Biker Geek

Bill is right. We have 2 SL1's with similar mileage as yours and one is even on it's 2nd teenager, same clutch! As long as the car is in good shape and not leaking anything, running well and everything works, why not keep it?

As far as your friends commemts "likely be having some serious trouble in the near future as is 'typical' of Saturns" not necessarily true, especially if you take good care of your car.

Now, if you are driving in excess of 15 - 20k miles a yr, or street racing the car, (haha) then you may want to consider a newer car. I assume thats not the case. :-) Otherwise, with good care you can expect up to 300k miles on a well kept Saturn if maintenance is religiously done.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

"driving in excess of 15k - 20k miles a yr"?

More mileage per year is far better than hardly any mileage at all per year. Heres how I see it - If a person puts 100k on in a year and maintains it, 700k to Million miles wouldnt be hard to reach. If you live in a moist climate or a region where the roads are salted every year you will have exhaust, brake lines, and fuel lines rotting out and looking pretty bad in about 10 years+150k miles. (typical for Ohio cars here)

Cold starts are the biggest wear factor on an engine. If your usage of the car involves 5 to 10 mile trips for every cold start then you arent looking at a engine with a very long healthy life. (tho it may still run, just not tops)

If you could measure an "engines" life by cold starts alone you "might" come up with something that looks like this

Miles traveled for every COLD start = Expected engine Life Span

5 miles = 50,000 miles 10 miles = 100,000 miles 20 miles = 200,000 miles 30 miles = 300,000 miles 40 miles = 400,000 miles 100 miles = 1,000,000 miles

This isnt very scientific or accurate but ya's get the idea thats been brewing in my head...I think.

Reply to
blah blah
30 miles = 300,000 miles 40 miles = 400,000 miles

wow! I drive 36 mi to work each day, so thats great news! :-) oh, I based my "15-20K a yr" on the average mileage ppl drive here in FL, thats the norm here.

marx404

Reply to
marx404