96 SL1 124K...time for checkup?

Hi everyone, I don't know much about cars, and my Saturn's a used car that I've had for close to 6 yrs.

I don't have my manual anymore, so I don't know what I should do for my

100K checkup. I've gotten my brake cylinders, front and rear brakes, muffler/exhaust pipe, and spark plugs all changed within the past year or 2 (spark plugs around 4-5 yrs ago). I think around the time I got my spark plugs changed, I got my linkage (?) replaced in my stick shift since I couldn't get into 1st or 2nd gear.

Should I just go to the Saturn dealer and get a checkup? What entails a checkup for the 100K+ cars? (How much would it cost?)

I'm sorry I'm not much help when it comes to cars. Last time I went to PepBoys for my brakes, they told me that my alternator belt was cracking...How do I check that, to know if they are trying to jip me of my $$?

Thanks a bunch for any kind of help!

-Tenshiryu

Reply to
tenshiryu

...here's what my old dealer suggests for service. I'd guess it's pretty similar to other dealers.

Jonnie Santos

How about a 96 SL2 with 245,000 miles on it?

Reply to
Ben

...wow, that's a lot of miles. I'm guessing you already have a system using the mileage intervals on the basic schedule for reference. You probably strike up some good conversation at the dealer too. Do you use this vehicle for work, or have a long commute or just love to drive? (just curious)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Actually I inherted it from a friend.. He had to get a bigger car for his back problems.. So he just gave it too me.. He bought it new in Feb of 96 (Found the original sticker in the owner's manual) and drove 150 miles a day for like 5 years for work.. We drove it to Indiana and back this past weekend and it drove great.. It needs some break work done.. I can tell it has a slightly warped rotor... He would change the oil every 2000 miles and kept up with the maintence like clock work... I plan on doing the same.. For a free car.. If I can get about 50,000 or miles out of it.. I can't complain... And just to add something else.. He drove his Honda to about

450,000 miles before the main seals went and died...
Reply to
Ben

...(imo) it's great when people take care of their stuff - I love readying about these kind of numbers on the odo too. And congrats on the new-to-you car.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Wow, that really helps! Thanks a lot for your help!!

Reply to
tenshiryu