98 SL1 Stalling

My SL1 started to stall when it idled. It has 160k miles and I put a new engine in it last year. I changed the spark plugs and wires first and that made it a little better but it still would drop to about 400 RPM or die when I came to a stop. I changed the oil just because I was there and it was about time. I changed the PVC valve and air filter, too. It still was having problems. The guy at the auto parts store suggested I try the MAP sensor. This worked for about two weeks but now its doing the same thing. I noticed that there was a black oily substance on the MAP gasket. I cleaned around the area a little but it was late so I didn't get it very good. So my question is, can a dirty air intake ruin a MAP sensor? Would it do this in a couple of weeks?

I have been reading different posts and I am going to clean the air intake and the throttle body tomorrow. Does anyone think that I should change the MAP sensor again?

Just FYI, there are no codes showing on the computer and the car runs fine when it is not in idle.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
johnroach22

PLEASE don't buy parts based on guesses. Stop by any Autozone and they can read any stored codes from the PCM for you for no charge. Or, take the car to your local Saturn dealer and have them do a diagnostic. It pays for itself if it prevents you from buying one part you don't need.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

the engine coolant temp. sensor, when faulty,can make your fuel injection all screwed up. God I hope SL1's are fuel injection! It cost 10.00 bucks be careful not to overtighten, its brass threaded (I did).and if its time for a fuel filter, do not hesitate to change it.Good luck

Reply to
localyocal