AC problem

Hi,

I have a 2001 LW200 Saturn. While it was the winter, I was using sometimes my air conditioning as recommended. Today, It was warm, so I decided to use my AC but I realise that It do not work. The fuse is OK and the light signal is on. Before going to the dealer, is there something that I can check.

According to your experiences is it an expensive repair ?

Thank you. S.B.

Reply to
SBO

Does not work how? Does the compressor try to "kick in" and then cut out? Does it just not get cold enough? Need a little more explanation. Could need nothing more than a charge, or as much as a new compressor....

Reply to
IYM

No noise at all, no air cold at all. Just the light bulb on. In a normal situation when I put the AC on, the electric accessories (fan or light) have a little bug down and there is always a little odor of freezer but now nothing.

S.B.

"IYM" a écrit dans le message de news: e22l95$ snipped-for-privacy@dispatch.concentric.net...

Reply to
SBO

If there's not enough Freon pressure to the system, the compressor will not kick in which would give you that "bog/bug down" that you speak of. I had a '94 sl2 that needed a charge every spring the last three years I had owned it. It apparently had developed a small leak and would lose some (not all) of it's charge over the winter, which was enough to make it do what you are describing. Saturn told me I neeed a new compressor, however I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on the car. So on a whim, I tried one more shot by buying a charging kit and a bottle of Freon from a local store (Aid Auto/Autobarn/Autozone type) and charged it myself, and it kicked right in. The kit was only $20, so I would try that first. If you don't think you can do it yourself, go to a shop and try to have it charged.

Scott

Reply to
IYM