Battery Shield question

My 2000 Saturn LW2 recently needed a new battery. When I got the car back I noticed that the black cardboard shield that was originally around the battery was missing. I took the car back to the dealer and asked them to replace it, but they told me that they always remove them and throw them away.

So, do I need the shield? What is it used for? What happens if I don't get one?

Thanks

Don Murphy

It's there to protect the battery from engine compartment heat. I don't know how much it harms the battery, but manufacturers wouldn't spring $$$ for them if they didn't work.

Besides, they really should return the whole car, not just parts they think you need.

Jim

Reply to
Jim, N2VX

We had a similar issue with our '01 L300 - the battery cracked, and was replaced under warranty - when we picked up the car, the insulator was gone and they gave us the same "we throw those away" answer - we had them order us up a new one, and install that (at no charge) - just be persistent - if it was there, and you didn't give them permission to toss it, then they had no right to do so!

The shield, as already indicated, protects the battery from heat and also probably helps insulate the battery in the wintertime.

Reply to
David & Caroline

My wife's 2000 LW3 had a bad cell in the battery. It died and the dealer replaced the battery and also reinstalled the shield. I guess its which dealer you go to, to get service. Saturn of Chagrin, in Beechwood Ohio is GREAT!

Steve

Reply to
Speez

Ignoring his agents wishes,"David & Caroline" flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

since the battery doesn't generate any heat on it's own, wearing a "blanket" won't keep it warm in the winter. Acid has very low freeze temps.

As far as being a heat shield, I have yet to see any Saturn that generates enough heat in the engine compartment to require heat shielding for the battery.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

True - but the engine does, and while it's running, the battery gets warm from that - so when things start to cool down, the insulation will help keep it warm longer. A battery warmer is really the way to go, though, for extreme temperatures - it's not so much freezing you have to worry about, as the ability to deliver enough current (which declines sharply with decreasing temperatures) - not a big deal for most of the country, though (we don't worry too much down here in NM...)

Reply to
David & Caroline

I have not had that great of experience with 3 different Saturn dealers in North Texas. Not anything I would call bad service, but just not worth making the effort to return since I live 1/2 hour away. So, as soon as my Saturns (I have 2) are both out of warantee, I am going to start taking them to a place that is closer to where I live.

Thanks all for the comments.

Don Murphy

I agree. Look at it this way. Say the insulator costs 50 cents. If Saturn makes a million cars a year, that is $500,000. If the part did nothing,or was not required, then they would not install it from the factory.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Ignoring his agents wishes,"David Teichholtz" flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

not to start an argument but you're making the false assumption that any item on a vehicle is there for a necessary purpose. Sometimes it's there because the redesign cost, (or subcontractor contractual obligations), prohibits them from making the change or it's just not cost effective to change the design to save a few cents.

Also, the insulator isn't an "absorbed" cost. You can bet that the cost for that part may be 50 cents to them, but it's at least a dollar to the consumer.

They aren't losing any money in the deal.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

Ignoring his agents wishes,"David & Caroline" flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

good catch.

Very true. I hadn't thought of that. I would think they could offer the insulator as a "feature" and jack up the add on accessory for $50. :-)

Personally, when OEM batteries go bad, I've always opted for an Optima. Yes, they're a little more expensive but they last *at least* twice as long and I've never had an Optima battery strand me anywhere no matter what the outside temperature was.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

You are making the false assumption that the price of the vehicle is directly related to the cost to build the vehicle. This is not at all true. Vechicles are priced by marketing departments, not engineering or manufacturing. Saving a $0.50 on the manufacturing cost is $0.50 more profit per vehicle. The only reason for not removing a part such as a battery insulator is that it will affect sales (which I doubt that it would) or it will increase warranty cost (which it might).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ignoring his agents wishes,"C. E. White" flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

No false assumption at all. In fact you contradict the very argument you're trying to support.

If the vehicle is *indeed* priced by marketing, they would also include any items that would draw in more sales (like you mentioned) that would provide a strong ROI. If a 50 cent doo dad would increase sales by 100%, then it's a good marketing ploy...even if it does

*nothing*. Stripes and neon colors do nothing for performance or reliability, however if targeted towards the right demographics, it *can* and *does* increase sales.

A battery blanket doesn't increase sales since the Saturns largest target demographic are females who care little if the battery has a blanket or not. In fact, I doubt a majority of them even know that it HAS a blanket or even what it's for. The vague answers in support of such a blanket in this thread even support that.

If warranty costs were an issue, the manufacturer *and* dealerships would ensure that the batteries leave the bays with the blankets installed. Additionally, unless Saturns are so unique to the automotive industry, (they aren't), you would see ALL new vehicles having such blankets (you don't).

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

Maybe check out:

For some thoughts on heat hurting you car's battery.

" Heat speeds up all chemical reactions. Because a car battery works by

producing a chemical reaction, motorists with older batteries might get stranded

by premature failure during the relentless heat wave. High outside temperatures

combined with stop and go traffic on overheated pavement can drive under-thehood

temperatures to more than 200 degrees. Factor in extra heavy, parasitic

electrical loads such as air conditioners, power windows and stereo systems, and

the dog days of summer can be deadly for a car battery. "

Reply to
<mcben

Ignoring his agents wishes, flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

..all I know is that the average life span of an OEM battery is about two years. That's how long our '00 LS2's battery lasted *with* the fancy blanket and that's how long our 97 SL2's battery lasted

*without* the blanket. It's also about how long our Dodge Durango's OEM battery lasted without a blanket. However the replacement Optima batteries *without* a blanket has lasted (on the Durango and LS2), over three years and still going strong. Yes, excessive heat can shorten the life of a battery no doubt. I just think, for the average joe schmoe who doesn't live in extremely hot climates, it's not going to make that significant of a difference. If it did, Saturn (e.g. GM), would of put the battery in the trunk instead of the engine compartment.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

GM has a service bulletin on this subject that states:

"When a battery insulator is specified for use on a particular vehicle, the underhood temperatures for that vehicle are high enough to be critical to battery life. Omitting the thermal insulator when installing the battery will considerably reduce the life of the battery by exposing it to higher underhood temperatures. Inspect the insulator for any damage. If the insulator is damaged or missing, replace as required."

Reply to
Robert Hancock

And nobody makes whips and restraints from fur...

Reply to
Jim, N2VX

Ignoring his agents wishes,"Jim, N2VX" flung open the hotel room door and announced to the gathering crowd:

metro DC (Northern Va.). It's not a matter of "letting them go" for 2 years, they let *me* go after 2 years (i.e. dead).

Not uncommon around here. Even dealers tell me not to expect any more than that from an OEM battery.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

That's terrible. I replaced the 98 Saturn battery last year when the alternator went south. I bought a new battery for our 96 Explorer last month for the first time in the six years I've had it, just as a preventative measure. I doubt it was changed in its first two years, so that means it gave eight good years with no indication of any problem. And it's not as though I've been particularly kind to it.

Reply to
Ratbert

DC area can get hot for the summer. But 2 years does seem short.

My SL2 is just over 4 years old with the OEM battery. But, I am thinking about replacing it before winter. And isn't the ION's battery in the trunk?

persistent -

Reply to
<mcben

My 98 SC2 still has the original battery (knock on wood). FYI, my 2000 chevy pickup has the heat shield, so GM is doing it beyond the Saturn brand.

I also read on

underhood temperatures have been rising in the last 2 decades so myguess is that someone at GM did a test and determined that the thin heatshield gets most batteries through the first 3 years. Jon

Reply to
Jon Smith