Clutch Woes

Hi folks,

I have a 1996 SL1 with 200,000km on it. (120K miles)

I replaced the clutch about 25000 km ago and over the last 5000km, the shifting has been difficult at best.

At a light it's difficult to put it in 1st.. finding second or third is difficult as well. Most troubling is that sometimes at a light with the clutch pedal in and the tranny in 1st gear, it feels as though the clutch is grabbing and the car is lurchy..

Seems to me that sometimes the clutch is released properly and intermittently it's not.

I have replaced the hydraulics with the sealed system factory unit and it didn't make a difference at all.

So for my questions:

  1. Any ideas on what might be bad here? Bad clutch itself?

  1. Should I yank the engine to replace the clutch or can I separate the engine and tranny with less work than that. (I had a garage do the work last time)

Thanks, Adrien

Reply to
Adrien

This may sound like a stupid question but have you check the fluid level?

Reply to
blah blah

Sounds like the clutch pedal needs adjustment.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

To my knowledge from ownership of two Saturns and changing several clutches myself, the clutch pedal is not adjustable.

I can't speak as to what the problem may be, but excellent DIY clutch replacement procedures can be found here:

Cris wrote this with input from quite a few people who have done the job and regularly post to the Saturn Performance Club mailing list. More info can be found at
. Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Was the throw out bearing replaced at the same time? (If not, it certainly should have been.) Is the clutch reservoir full of proper hydraulic fluid?

Reply to
Bob Shuman

A couple comments. You don't have to pull the shift tower off. If you loosen the cradle bolts on the drivers side(and loosen a little on the pass) and drop the cradle some it gives you more room to work with, and it's therefore an easier job. You don't have to mess with the pass side axle either, it'll just pop out and in on its own.

Jamie

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I certainly have no experience with these cars, but that was my first guess. I'm quite fluent in DSMs and 3000GT/VR4s and that is a common problem after a clutch job. We have a nut and screwable shaft on the clutch pedal that can be used to change the engagment. This is normally a problem with racing clutches because they have stiffer pressure plates.

From the problem he is describing it sounds like the plate isn't pushing the clutch enough out of engagement to allow smooth shifting. An aftermarket pressure plate or flywheel can do this because they may not be within spec. My question is, did they replace or resurface the old flywheel? Did the replace the throw-out bearing and pressure plate? If so, did they use the correct part number? Chevy likes to change parts a lot, even within a model year.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Hi - Amazing! I have the exact situation you described on my 94 SL2 - I've just been living with it, but what a bitch it is when your sitting at a light, and it changes and you have to jam the SOB into 1st. Unlike you though, I usually don't have problems with any other gear. I found that as I am just coming to a stop, I apply slight pressure to the stick to put in

1st, and it'll gently slip in just before you stop. I also have the "jumping" you described while sitting at a light with the car in 1st...Feels like the clutch isn't completely disengaged...funny thing is that if you pull the stick out of gear, pump the clutch once and put it back in it stops. (of course, then you have the problem of having to jam it again)

The reason I state the above experience for you is that for me, the car is what it is...mine's a 12 year old Saturn with 160K miles on it in which the drivers seat and my left side get wet during rain from a leak somewhere (drips down from the around the seat belt track), and I'm only looking to keep it going until it dies, putting only the minimum $ in it. This clutch problem has been going on for 2 years, and hasn't changed or left me stranded.......so if yours just started AND you don't want to dump $ in it AND you can live with it, it won't crap out on you if that's what your worried about. (and no, the clutch is not adjustable just as someone else mentioned)

BTW, on the same topic of clutches, is it mine only, or is the Saturn clutch in that car the stiffest/hardest clutch for a car you've ever experienced?? My left leg gets a good workout in rush hour!! I've driven large trucks that feel like that clutch. The other day, I moved my friend's Nissan, which is a stick and I damn near put my foot through the floor!!

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

Interesting. The clutch pressure on the SL2 that is now my son's is feather-light. I have had the same thing as far as getting it to go into gear, but I always figured that the problem felt more like it was in the shifter.

Ken

SL2 - I've

somewhere

looking to

someone else

Saturn clutch

experienced??

Nissan,

separate the

Reply to
Napalm Heart

As long as it's not the rear main seal leaking on to the clutch plate causing my difficulties all should be alright.

I'd avoid fixing it but it is my road trip vehicle - From Ottawa, Canada it's been to West Va twice, Georgia once, Fla once and Mexico twice..

I'll start working on it on Monday and I'll let everyone know what the verdict is..

For the previous questions

  1. Yes, the hydraulics are full. (Brand new in fact - replaced because I though t the hydraulics were the issue)
  2. Yes, the flywheel was machined.
  3. Yes, the release bearing was replaced.

Thanks for the assistance so far..

-a

Napalm Heart wrote:

5000km,
Reply to
abeaudin

Hmmm....That is interesting. The clutch in this car has always been stiff/heavy. In fact, one of the reasons I have this car is because my 65 year old Mom's knee couldn't take the clutch anymore and she needed an automatic (that and getting in & out was starting to get difficult for her and my Dad...) They went and bought a Vue and gave me this car. It's not bad for a little go-kart and it's decent on gas battling the Long Island Expressway stop & go crap 6 days a week....

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

I pulled the clutch and it's the pressure plate that's bad. The fingers are worn quite badly

Thanks for the assistance - I did drop the transmission through the bottom.. undoing half the subframe bolts and suspending the back of the engine with a 2x4 as described..

Reply to
Adrien