98 SC2 Starting/Stalling Problem Intermittent

We have a 98 SC2 with about 70,000 miles. Some days it will not start. It turns over fast, but not matter how long you crank it it will not start. I do not smell any gas, like it is flooded. Mostly it will not start when it is very cold. Like 10 degree winter night. Next day it starts like there is nothing wrong. No computer codes recorded. Took it to one mechanic and he replaced a temperature sensor. Next night it would not start. Took it to another mechanic (specializes in Saturns) thought he found a loose wire on the computer. Next night it would not start. We were musing that the with the warmer weather the problem would go away for a while, however now it stalls sometimes after it started and idling for a few minutes. The mechanics think we are nuts because it always starts for them. When it runs it runs like clockwork. Any clues?

If you want to email me directly remove spamfree from the return address. Otherwise feel free to post to the group.

Reply to
Gary

Lack of fuel pressure due to an intermittent fuel pump? The fuel pump is supposed to run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition to "on" before you go to start "start". Next time you start it cold, turn it to on and before engaging the starter and listen for the fuel pump.

There's also the fuel pump relay in the electrical chain.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Reply to
Gary

When I saw that on my late parent's SL2, it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.

They're coils, and they can fail intermittently.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen