Drive car without keyfob?

I just bought a used 2005 VUE that has the anti theft package. Is there a way to open up and drive the car without disarming the alarm using the keyfob? There are times I'm at athletic events and carrying the keyfob with me would be...annoying. This is my first car with any sort of alarm or keyfob.

I'm also waiting on a manual, that's why I'm asking here...otherwise I'd just RTFM.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
John Verheul

John Verheul wrote in news:fafe3176-8e82-4504-a0b5- snipped-for-privacy@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Unlock the car with key, put the key in the ignition and start the vehicle within a specific amount of time ... 15 - 30 seconds (don't have TFM with me).

Reply to
Steph

Sure there is, just do not turn your alarm on! If your VUE is like my L-300 you can just lock all the doors from the inside, and then just take the key to lock, and unlock, the drivers side door. Of course you will not have the security alarm on, but you can always get a "club" like I have. Who pays any attention to "car alarms" these days anyway? If you hear one, 10 times out of 10, it is because the owner tripped the alarm!

Reply to
WGRG3

Oh geez, of all the security devices available, the club ranks below siren-only alarms in effectiveness.

"Widely advertised, this device is probably the best known anti theft product on the market today. But as demonstrated on CBS' American Journal, a car thief using a hacksaw can cut through the vehicle's steering wheel and remove The Club in just 22 seconds! The program also demonstrated how a thief can spray "freon" into the locking mechanism of The Club, hit the now - frozen lock with a hammer, and shatter it like glass, enabling him to remove The Club. In addition, there is a device called the Club Buster, which will break The Club and AutoLock devices in 60 seconds. The Club Buster is intended for locksmiths, tow truck operators, and auto repossession professionals, but any thief can buy it over the internet right now for $93." See "

".

The verbal alarm isn't what's useful, it's the disabling of the ignition system. The factory alarms often tie directly into the computer, rather than simply a relay on the starter. The after-market systems are more easily bypassed. If you really want to be protected, install a system that also cuts off the fuel supply.

Reply to
SMS

The thing with the Club is not how secure it is it is the fact that it is on the steering wheel. If you were a theif, and you saw two cars one with a Club on it, and one without one, which car are you going to go after? Even though a club may be compromised in a few minutes, or seconds that is still time that the theif does not want to spend stealing a car. And a lot of car theives do not carry around a Hack Saw, or Freon! In fact a news station in my area did a story on car theives, and they talked to a former car thief, and he said he never went after cars that had the club on them because of the time factor, A car theif wants to be gone as soon as possible. And taking the time to disable a Club is never a good idea, when you are breaking the Law!

Reply to
WGRG3

Most folks with alarm systems seemingly don't care if the alarm goes off (or purposely trip it) as they open the car. I view it as being rude and about the same level of annoyance as having someone fart in a full express elevator (with 20 floors to go). Beyond this, it desensitizes everyone else to the alarm going off. If it's an every-day occurrence, why bother looking when one goes off.

Me, I get embarrassed when I accidentally trip the panic button and the horn starts beeping.

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks!

Reply to