2005 Explorer OEM break-in alarm?

My 2005 XLT was broken into recently...they broke the driver window...and stole my $140 aftermarket stereo.

I always thought there was some sort of OEM break-in sensors on these Explorers, but I guess not. I checked the owner's guide and all I saw in there were references to the anti-theft system. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent, but not overly expensive, alarm system for a 2005 Explorer?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob

I do not know about your 2005 XLT but my 1997 XLT has the anti-theft system as default. I even accidentally tripped it when I locked the car with the window open. I then reached through the window and opened the door. Surprise!!

You should see an indicator flash on the dash when the system is armed.

Reply to
Art McClinton

There is a theft indicator on the dash... however, this indicator is present even if the car only has PATs.

Reply to
Jim Warman

In article , Jim Warman wrote: :There is a theft indicator on the dash... however, this indicator is present :even if the car only has PATs.

There is a red theft indicator on the dash which blinks but the user manual only talks about how that system protects against theft in the sense the vehicle won't start without the chip-imbedded ignition key; no mention about break-in protection or alarm. I guess I'll call Ford and ask them about it.

What are PATs?

Reply to
Bob

PATs is the Passive AntiTheft System.... In some models the starter will not operate, in others the starter will operate but the car will start and immediately die.... I believe that a perimeter alarm was/is offered but we have never seen any that I can recall in our area....

I understand, from Ford documents, that PATS is such a reliable system that Ford is considering discontinuing locking steering columns.

Reply to
Jim Warman

In article , Jim Warman wrote: :PATs is the Passive AntiTheft System.... In some models the starter will not :operate, in others the starter will operate but the car will start and :immediately die.... I believe that a perimeter alarm was/is offered but we :have never seen any that I can recall in our area.... : :I understand, from Ford documents, that PATS is such a reliable system that :Ford is considering discontinuing locking steering columns.

Thanks Jim.

Reply to
Bob