Audi A6 1998 1.8T Poltergeist Window Opening Phenomena

Tonight I heard the alarm go off on the car. I had left the car secure with all windows closed.

When I went out the lights were still flashing and ALL the windows were open ! What a nightmare. Events of the day that may be related to the incident:-

  1. The wife washed my switchblade key, I tested it on the 10 minutes car previous to this incident and it seemed to work.
  2. Had a bump this morning at the rear off side, just the bumper and the tail light were damaged.

Please let me know if you have any ideas why all the windows opened, this is a nightmare scenario for the security of the vehicle if it happens and I am not there.

TIA Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Maybe ypur cars computer brain had a TIA?

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Geezus, sorry about your day!

I have configured my keyfob to allow opening all of the windows (among other "extra" functions). My bet is that's what your keyfob commanded, as you walked away from the car.

Maybe use the backup key until the first one dries out a bit longer?

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

In article , Stuart writes

LOL!

I'm sorry to laugh, I know it's a serious matter, I just find the whole idea of a car spontaneously opening all it's windows rather funny for some twisted reason :))

Reply to
Toby Groves

[Snip]

But surely it will only wind the windows down in conjunction with an unlock command? If that were the case, then the alarm wouldn't be sounding.

I guess that it might just be possible that the fob transmitted a long unlock sequence (causing the windows to open), followed by a short lock sequence (setting the alarm, but not closing the windows).

I am aware that the buttons on my keyfob can be pressed accidentally if I bend down with the key on my trouser pocket. Stuart, is it possible that the buttons did get pressed accidentally whilst you were within range of the car?

Reply to
Peter Bell

On my '00 S4, if I unlock the car but don't open a door the alarm will automatically re-arm within 60 seconds.

So commanding the unlock/windows down, and not opening a door, would result in all of the windows open with the alarm re-armed...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

if you unlock the car but dont put the key in the ignition and then shut the door again the car will lock and re-arm whithin 60 secs, the opening of the door doesnt matter, FWIW

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

Thanks for all the time you have taken to respond to this post everyone. It would seem that the resounding opinion is that the fault was with the Key Fob as opposed to anything caused by collision damage to the rear bumper.

Sorry if I am not following protocol here, Peter asked a question in the middle of this thread "Could the fob have been activated accidentally" I unlocked and locked the car from the house to test the soggy fob. So quite deliberate really.

And just for Toby's benefit, on top of this after parking my car at the deserted opposite side of the car park for 2 years, I finally got lazy Saturday, parked in the nearest space to the entrance and someone reversed out of the restaurant car park and scraped both doors ;'-(

Its all a relief now. These things may only come in threes, that's the three things over and now so I am off to the bodyshop now to see if this will be an insurance job or cash ;-'(

The wheels were all needing refurbed anyway due to the lacquer peeling off -so to the next question, I do not plan.can't afford to buy new wheels so AFAIK I can

1.Have them sprayed. 2.Have them powder coated. Are there any opinions on this. Have I just mixed a topic in a thread and will now be flamed ? I will repost if no-one that reads has a firm opinion.

Thanks again for all the responses. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In article , Stuart writes

Now that's not funny at all :((

Reply to
Toby Groves

... or it could be the well known 'bug' in Audi and VW cars which makes the windows open completely on their own. I know as it happened to my A6 - all or some of the windows would open during the night and sometimes the alarm would go off. The key fob was well out of range at the time. I don't know whether it's the software or maybe some damp can get into the window/central locking computer (it's located under the floor by the passenger seat on the UK model).

The solution on my car was to disable the "total closure" option. It hasn't happened since.

Also beware another common fault with Audis where the windows jam and won't close! If this happens get it fixed straight away as using the windows in this state my damage then regular and/or motor.

Mark.

Reply to
nowhere

Dunno about the key, but on my -98 A6 _all_ the doorlocks has been changed by dealer (on warranty) due to faulty "microswitches" causing all kinds of shit with the alarm (a not-so-friendly phone call from the police amongst other things). On the other hand: My wife's -98 A4 used to be found everywhere with the passenger window open, but in this case the poltergeist turned out to be the driver accidentally touching the button when exiting the car ('comfort' opening of window still active after keys pulled from ignition).

Rune

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Mark, Sorry for my ignorance. What is the total closure option ? How do you disable it ? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

It's an optional setting for the security/convenience system, if you hold the "open" button active for a few extra seconds all of the windows will open (and conversely, when you lock the door if you hold the button active all windows and moonroof will close).

This function as well as the rest of the keyfob features must be programmed using a VAG tool or emulator (eg: VAG-COM)...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

More than likely it has to do with the key fob. This happened to my Lexus a couple of times before I figured out that something in my pocket was pressing down on the key fob buttons (usually while I was sitting) and, if held down long enough, they would open all of the windows AND the sunroof. (Leads to a fun discovery after a night of rain.)

If your key got washed, my money is on something shorting it out etc. Unless you are sitting on it in your pocket.

Reply to
JMyers6670