EVO solenoid

Hi all...just came back from the auto wreckers with a replacement power steering pump for my 92 Saturn. I pulled it put of a 95 or 96 model, which I thought would be the same. Well, as it turns out the newer model pump does not have the EVO solenoid like my car does and the high pressure line goes in the same spot where the EVO solenoid goes in my car.

Removing the pump is a pain in itself, so I really am not up to exerimenting at this point. I'm just curious whether the older pumps had some sort of an adapter plate on the output of the pump to acommodate the EVO and the high pressure hose, and that plate was removed in the later models so only the high pressure hose goes in? Yeah, I know...I'm grasping here but getting the thing out is a pain in the rear and I really don't feel like going back to the wreckers and doing it all over again. LOL. And no....I'm not going to a dealer... :)

thanks

Reply to
navaidstech

Have you considered running your non-EVO pump and just leaving the connector unplugged? I permanently removed the pump from my '92 which only sees track use, and it does set a malfunction code. If you live in a state where emissions testing is done (where they require no stored codes), then that may matter to you.

I suppose you could take your old one apart and see if the EVO pieces could be transplanted, but it would be much simpler and less time-consuming to buy the right part for the job at that point.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

What I was thinking of doing is just leaving the EVO hanging there as there appears to be no room for it on the "new" pump. This way the computer would still see it but I would not have the variable effort power steering. Our province does have emission regulations but all my emission checks are done at my friend's garage who doesn't even bother checking for stored codes. To be honest with you, I don't even know if any of the garages here check for stored codes before doing the emission checks....

But I think you're right, it will be easier to just get the right pump and that's what I have decided to do. Not planning to keep the car much longer anyway, she's getting pretty tired with 322,000 miles on it.

thanks Alex

Reply to
navaidstech