Funky Bolt

I am trying to replace the upper seatbelt retractor in my 97 SL2. It is hidden behind the trim on the B-post, near the floor. There is a single bolt and a cutout key holding it in place.

The bolt is quite large, a T-50 Star head. I have a hunch that it may hold more in place than the seatbelt (maybe holds the floor pan to the frame?)

The problem is that the bolt will not disengage. It unscrews maybe three quarters of an inch, but will not come out. I tried prying it, both while I was unscrewing it and not, but no luck. If there is a nut behind this, I cannot find any holes to access it.

At the end of the throw, it seems to turn about one full turn, then "clicks" and feels like it is pulling back slightly.

What kind of bolt is this, and what sort of voodoo (or special tools) do I need to remove it? Once I have it out, will I be able to replace it back where it goes?

Thanks for any help

Jim

Reply to
JimR

There's probably some thread lock or rust behind the nut. Spray on some good penetrating fluid like Kroil (not wd-40) and work it back and forth. This usually works. If you feel brave, use an impact wrench but work it back and forth still to minimize damaging anything.

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks for the tip. I didn't have any decent penetrating fluid, so I used whiteboard cleaner (isopropyl alcohol), which seemed to do the trick.

Once I got it out, I saw on the side of the recoil spring casing it said 'DO NOT REMOVE" so it must be one of those nasty springs that needs a special tool to replace.

I took a chance, and squirted some silicone lube inside both the spring side and the other side (clutch?). That seemed to free everything up, and it is working again! Huzzah!

Jim

Reply to
JimR