How long to replace a hose?

My car has been leaking anti-freeze and just today as I was driving, the car was sluggish and the arrow was reaching the "red hot" symbol. I was told that I need to replace the hose, can someone help with this?

Reply to
tbaby

I forgot to add, I have a 1998 sl2. I've had this car for 31/2 yrs and this is the first time I had a problem.

Reply to
tbaby

There are a couple of hoses running from your rad to the engine. One at the bottom of the rad and one at the top. The one at the top is obviously much easier to replace but the idea is the same. First thing you need to do is drain your coolant into a clean container, the rad should have a little drain screw at the bottom of it. I'm not sure what sort of clamps they use in the 98 Saturns but in my

92 SL1 they are spring loaded and require channel lock pliers to loosen up the tension and move them out of the way. Using channel lock pliers, remove the clamps holding the subject hose to the rad and the engine. Just grab the clamps and move them back a bit, about 2 inches. Remove hose, then remove the clamps off that hose and put them onto the new hose. Install the hose, move clamps into position and you're almost done. Pour your coolant back into the equalizing reservoir and start the car to let it warm up and get the circulation going. Top if up as needed with 50/50 solution of distilled water and antifireeze. It shouldn't take you more than an hour to do this.

Alex

Reply to
navaidstech

"tbaby" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Check the waterpump first, and if it as a 5-speed, check the end caps on the radiator.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

The end tanks on the radiator are plastic, and if you live in an area with harsh weather, they eventually crack. I'd guess it's due to the repeated cycling between temperature extremes. I recently had to replace mine due to this. You'll see coolant leaking down and dripping off of the black plastic tank if that is the case.

A few years after I bought the car, the water pump bearings also started to go bad and leaking began in that area.

My bet is on your end tanks and not a hose.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane