ION rear pass door shudder noise

I notice that at speeds around 40mph the rear passenger door on my '07 ION makes a shuddering noise like helicopter blades. If I roll down that window, the noise becomes really loud, chop!, chop!, chop!!!! .... at first I thought that I had a bad bubble in the tire, but the tire is ok, the car is brand new.

I had the shop check it out, they say that this is "normal" wind reverberation, I say bullisht to that. It only comes from that side. There is no physical vibration at all, just the noise.

Has anyone else had this noise occur with thiser ION and have you had it fixed? What is it and other than playing my radio real what is the cure? TIA

Reply to
marx404

bad grammar, sorry.

Reply to
marx404

i have had a few cars that when one or more windows down at speed it would give that loud chopping sound, but it would go away with the windows up. it seemed to vary with conditions like passing cars etc.

Reply to
tom

this is with all windows up.

Reply to
marx404

Did you find the problem? I got the same shuddering noise as soon as I reach 40MPH with a peak at 50MPH. The noise suddenly disappear around

55MPH. I thought it was my gaz tank door that was vibrating....it is not :-( I have a 05 ION. Would you please let me know if you know how to solve this. I search the web and you are the only one I found that seem to have the same problem. Thanks Max
Reply to
email2max

Usually there is a plastic sheet that is stuck on the inside of the door to reduce or prevent air from the outside from leaking through the seams on the door panel. Not sure about Ions having this but its possible it is loose and flapping in there.

Reply to
BläBlä

I have been playing around and sealing off the door seams with blue painters tape, then driving to see if I can isolate the noise. A search on saturnfans.com showed that there are a few who have it and call it "wind buffeting", a natural occurance due to the shape of the car. However, My door actually frigen "rattles" at 40 mph!

I am going to keep trying he tape until I isolate the noise, then I will insist that the shop takes my door off and checks to make sure that polymer panel isnt loose or what BlaBla says.

Reply to
marx404

I have found the problem on my car and i wish it will help you with yours. The seal under the second section of the roof molding (rear passenger side). Mine had completely disappeared under the molding so the molding was free to vibrate. You have to compare the seals of both side of your car to notice that there is a little difference in their position. The seal is stuck there by a double faced sticker that seems to dry under the heat. In my case i think i displace the seal (which is obviously a cheap one) by washing the car with a pressure washer. I wish you understand my English and it will help you.

Reply to
email2max

I have found the problem on my car and i wish it will help you with yours. The seal under the second section of the roof molding (rear passenger side). Mine had completely disappeared under the molding so the molding was free to vibrate. You have to compare the seals of both side of your car to notice that there is a little difference in their position. The seal is stuck there by a double faced sticker that seems to dry under the heat. In my case i think i displace the seal (which is obviously a cheap one) by washing the car with a pressure washer. I wish you understand my English and it will help you.

Reply to
email2max

Thank you, that's exactly what it was, it took the idiot techs weeks to figure it out. I finally had one ride in the car with me, pointed out the noise he said he "didn't hear" before and then they figured it out. After reading about it here & on SaturnFans.com I told the techs long ago it was the appliqué on that side, they had to "investigate first before discovering I was right. Thanks all for the help.

marx404

Reply to
marx404