3.7 liter v6 2006 jeep grand cherokee exhaust noise

Has anyone had an awful "spitting" sound with their 2006 3.7 Liter V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee?? I ahve taken it to 2 different dealers now to try and "FIX"
the problem... well one place tightened some bolts, changed the "Y" pipe, and tightened the spare tire underneath. It is still making the metalic clunking spitting noise?
"Spitting" sounds like an exhaust leak, but "clunking" sounds like something hitting the floor. Can you locate the sound yourself, or is it way under the vehicle? There are state "lemon laws" that allow you to return a "non-conforming" vehicle (which this could be) if they can't fix it after a certain number of tries. It depends on your state. Was it making the noise when you picked it up from the dealer? If so, they are deaf, didn't road test it or don't care. Noises like this are not a typical problem, but that is not an excuse to do less than an excellent job.
Earle

"FIX"
and
clunking
HEY Earle! Thanks for the response... I live in WI... when i test drove it it was making an awful droning noise at 1500rpm no exhaust noise..BUT the little "wishbone" light was on and the sales person said that is a low tire pressure warning so we will air it up for you ... well thinking like a girl i said ok. BUT i took it in for the new exhaust noise (thinking it got fixed with the tire pressure then driove it home and THERE was that other noise ughhh) and the 1500 rpm noise that did not go away after they aired up tires .1500rpm droaning sound apparantly is a Chrysler issue that they are working on a fix for but causes no damage so they say..could take 6 mos to a yr! ughh! . but yeah when i bought it it was not making this exhaust noise. the work order i got yesterday said the cause of the noise was adjustments so they adj a heat sheild that was hitting the exhaust, adj rear exhaust mount, tightened the spare tire, and checked all mounts axles and shafts.. I am bringing it back in tomorrow because the same noise is there.. what would you suggest i say? :)
Earle Horton wrote:

Heh, tell them the noise is still there.
Earle

it
little
pressure
ok.
and
fix
but
heat
the
back
say? :)

something
noise
that
Jeep
"FIX"
pipe, and

clunking
gotcha!
Earle Horton wrote:

Jeep had a problem with 2000 Cherokees with 2.5 that they were pretty quiet about (my wife has one) They had a resonance problem with exhaust that they fixed with a new muffler design but they did not recal it or talk about it and only changed it out if you complained about it enough under warranty. It might be a issue here that they are trying to pass off as SOP. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Thank you!
SnoMan wrote:

Not saying this is your problem, but I had a clunking sound from the rear of my Jeep. I also was thinking exhaust, but it turned out to be a bad (really bad) shock. Solved with 4 new shocks :-)
amym wrote:

--
FRH

Hey frank! It sounds like it is coming from underneath around the left side of the jeep?
Frank_v7.0 wrote:

My clunking sound was to the rear underneath. It happened to be the right rear shock that was really bad, but I hear left rear shocks go bad also. :-) The spitting sound does seem like an exhaust problem.
amym wrote:

--
FRH