L300 Rusty Wheels?

My two month old Saturn L300-2 has very Rusty wheel drums. I mentioned it to my salesman at the time of delivery but he kind of changed the subject. Is there anything I can do now to get this taken care of? It makes my new Saturn look really bad. Anyone else have this problem, what did you do about it? Thanks in advance, for any help on this!!

Reply to
WGRG3

Remove wheels, remove drums, wire brush till as clean as possible (electric drill attachment works well after using manual brush), then spray with primer, and (black) spray paint, let dry, then re-install.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

My L300 has disk brakes all around. Hmm.

Reply to
Rudy Garcia

Will it work for long? If I recall correctly, the drums tend to get fairly hot when used as intended. Paint may bubble and flake off after a few brake applications.

Reply to
ns

Will it work for long? If I recall correctly, the drums tend to get fairly hot when used as intended. Paint may bubble and flake off after a few brake applications.

Reply to
ns

I kinda figure 4 wheel disk also maybe he means the hubs on his rotors. follow same advice. Remove wire brush etc. primer high temp engine enamel.

Reply to
Tim G

It will if you use an appropriate coating - there are caliper paints which will work for brake disks or drums. High temperature paint for gas grills would probably work as well.

Reply to
David & Caroline

I should have said they were all wheel disk brakes. And the drums I was talking about were the ones where the Wheels attach to the car. I thought about this long and hard, and then with a little help from Saturn Headquarters we got the Dealer to do the right thing and fix the rust problem. Well they did a great job on it, they took all the rust off, and painted all the bare metal black. I was very happy with the results and I am glad they decided to fix it. I just hope it will last!

I can't believe I am the only L300 owner with this rust problem. It seems like the factory missed a step in their Corosion Control on the Wheel Drums. Did I get the only L300 with Rusty wheels? Or do most L300 owners just ignore this rusty wheel problem?

Reply to
WGRG3

My LW300's rotors are rusty also - I just ignore it. I have never owned any vehicle where that part of the rotor or even drum brakes were painted from the factory - and they all rust almost immediately anywhere but in the desert. The problem is, nowadays the aluminum wheels allow you to see more of the rotor/drum, and that is why it is noticeable. You were lucky it was a Saturn and the dealer attempted to make you happy - most manufacturers would have just said it was normal and told you to get lost. It really doesn't cause any harm - just looks crappy. If you watch, even the braking surface will rust slightly in a matter of hours in wet weather. It has to do with the optimum alloy for long life and heat/abrasion resistance. Why the non-braking surface doesn't come painted or rustproofed from the factory? That I can't answer. You can purchase trick rotors that are any color you want!

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

'01 LW300 with alloy wheels. Perhaps the bright wheels keep one from noticing any rust. the only rust I do see is on the brake rotors (4) when it has been sitting for a while in damp weather. Once the car is driven, that polishes right out.

What did bother me was a rumble as I back out of my driveway and cut the wheels. Always seems to do this one second rumble at every engine start. Now that I think about it, is probably the ABS performing a test.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

I did try to ignore the Rust problem, but that is hard to do when every othere car you look at does not have this problem! And it being a new car did not make me feel any better about all the rust. And it seemed to get worse everyday, so I felt that I had to do something about it. And it was not easy getting the Dealer to fix this, as I said I had to get help from Saturn to convince them that I was very unhappy about all this. Now I am very happy I did say something, and I do not have to look at the Rust everyday!! I do not know why they do not coat this part with some anti- corosive so that it will not Rust. It would make the car look a lot better if it did not have all of that Rust on it!! It just might increase Sales too! Thanks!

Reply to
WGRG3