leg pain while driving '93 SL?

For the past few months I've had chronic pain in my right leg which I believe is due to driving my '93 SL1. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did they do to alleviate it?

It could be described as a dull shooting pain/aching from the middle of the back of my right thigh down to the upper part of the calf. The pain seems to radiate from the thigh to the calf. The muscle is buried and extremely difficult to stretch, and it hurts while stretching it. It does not hurt (except when aggravated after driving) while walking or running (9 miles/week without trouble). The only culprit left is this car. There is no associated back pain so sciatica is unlikely. I'm also only 24.

This car is an ergonomic nightmare. I've tried readjusting the seat position both forwards and backwards. Because I'm short (5'3"), there are only 2 positions where the gas pedal is within comfortable reach. Someone once commented that he thought I was so close to the steering wheel, if the airbag inflated it would kill me. The gas pedal is a few inches back from the brake pedal, which results in awkward twisting movement between brake and gas rather than the simple heel pivot. My previous car never caused these problems.

I already carpool and only drive to work every other week. This pain is persistent enough that a week of no driving does nothing to fix the problem. The traffic here in DC is certainly no help.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
RL

Do you have a store called 'Relax the Back' in your area? I was there a few years ago and they sold a back support for the car that has an aluminum rod in the back where they bend it to fit your back. That may help. I get the same kind of pain in my right leg when I drive more than an hour. It starts at my hamstring and goes into the calf. Sometimes I use cruise control so I can bend my right leg for a minute or two and that helps. The best way I alleviate it is to get out of the car and walk around for a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Brian

p.s. I drive a 2000 SL2 and find the seats extremely uncomfortable. I think the seats are too low and don't allow a natural bend in the knees when seated.

Reply to
Brian Burke

Or seeing a doctor? No small ergonomic issue should cause something so severe sounding.

My 92 SL2 has caused us no such issues. I am 6' and my wife is 5'6" no problem for her either.

Dave the > On 5 Aug 2003 05:58:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (RL) wrote: >

Reply to
Wesley Thiessen

This might be related to some other type of injury or condition you have. I'm 21 but have severe osteoarthritis and some replaced joints. Prior to surgery, staying in one position (such as during a long drive) or in a weird position would leave me with a bunch of pains and aches. I'd go see a doctor.

My mother drives a '98 Altima. She even has the fancy power adjustable seats. I cannot get comfortable driving her car. Even on a trip from NYC to DC I could not get comfortable the entire time. That's why test-driving is so important when purchasing a new automobile. GM is being pretty cool with it's new 24-hour road test thing, gives you the chance to get some real seat time.

Take a Tylenol or buy a new car. BTW, I'm only 5'2" and prefer to sit on a pillow or two to elevate my view of the road. Perhaps that may help you too. ~strat81

Reply to
Rich B.

Before you go to that expense, you could look at replacing just the seat, or maybe just add a seat cushion. Pedal extenders might be helpful also.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

On the Ion,I noticed there's no foot room behind the pedals.

Reply to
teem