94 Cutlass Supreme - whistles while driving

I'm getting a whistling sound when driving in my '94 Cutlass with the 3100 V6. It sounds like an air leak and I just can't find it. I've pushed and pulled on every air hose I can find with no results. The whistling seems to happen only when there's no throttle input after accelerating, until the engine slows back down and goes as follows:

- The whistle almost sounds like a tea kettle.

- It only happens if I'm accelerating and let off the gas, lifting from a steady speed results in no whistle.

- The whistle goes on for 2-3 seconds and stops, starting with a high pitch and lowering.

- If I hit the gas again while it's whistling, it immediately stops.

- The whistling is louder if the A/C is running.

- The sound is coming from outside of the car and isn't an under-dash air leak. You can't really hear the whistle unless a window is open.

- This can't be duplicated either by revving in neutral or in gear with your foot on the brake, the car must be moving.

TIA for any help.

Reply to
Chris

Okay, Chris, if you are a good-looking woman, I think I can explain it ...

Reply to
Matt

On 2005-08-15 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com said: >Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech >Chris wrote: >> I'm getting a whistling sound when driving in my '94 Cutlass with >>the 3100 V6. >Okay, Chris, if you are a good-looking woman, I think I can explain >it ... Or the car likes the tune but doesn't know the words... [Heh]

Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Anybody wanna go for Krustyburgers?

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Reply to
twillmon

A very small vacuum leak in terms of surface area in a strong vacuum area such as near an intake manifold runner could produce a whistling sound that is more pronounced on deceleration. Sure sounds like an intake gasket to me. Well, actually I can't hear it, but that's what it *seems* like.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

My grandfather used to do that. He'd hear a song on the radio and just couldn't help it. :)

I used to have those whistler things on my truck once for letting deer (4-legged) know you were coming down the highway. Maybe someone stuck one of those on your car. Maybe not. Just a thought. [yeah yeah I know]

Maybe drive near a Jersey wall with the other window down and get a better listen on it and try and figure what side its on. Air whistling through the riggings is a toughy. Has the thing ever had body work done on it?

Reply to
ed

my guess is a loose/worn out serpentine belt...

irax.

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

An animal stuck in engine may produce such sound. Remove immediately

Reply to
Mark Levitski

Don't think it's a snake, rabbit more likely

Reply to
Marco Licetti

Exacctly, either deeer or rabbit

Reply to
Marco Licetti

I noticed today that with the A/C on (haven't used it much lately), I hear a different air sound after shutting off the car that's more of a sshhhhhh. It goes on for a good 15 or 20 seconds and seems to be coming from near the brake booster. Now I just need to find the instructions for checking the check valve. I've temporarily misplaced my manual....

I still can't hear the leak unless the car's moving. :(

Chris

Reply to
Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "ed" Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:45 PM Subject: Re: 94 Cutlass Supreme - whistles while driving

No jersey barriers, but plenty of woods around. I can't hear the whistle with only the passenger window open, so it's coming from the drivers side. As far as I can tell, no body work has ever been done to the car and I think the link is very close to the brake booster, if not actually on it due to a ssssshhhhh leak after shutting off the car with the A/C on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

That 'shhhhhhh' sound always exists on cars with accumulator type A/C systems (like your GM). When you shut the engine off and the A/C compressor stops, there is an equalization that occurs at the system restriction (orifice tube) underneath the hood. The hissing noise is especially noticeable because the engine has stopped making noise at the same time. You are hypercritically listening for a high pitched noise and may have just noticed that normal noise for the first time.

If you truly have a leak at the booster then just listen around the hose, vacuum fittings and booster with a length of rubber hose held near your ear for the pinpoint source. Have the engine running during this test to maintain manifold vacuum.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a car that has the A/C orifice tube near the brake booster -- so you are either hearing a vacuum leak near the booster, or you are not locating the approximate source of this noise very accurately.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish