Loose Steering

Had new tires put on the car and now a various issues have surfaced. Mostly alignment issues, front and rear.

Now personally I find the steering is loose, but Saturn says its normal. I'm wondering if the steering can be tightened up. The Hayes book gives instructions on how to tighten up the steering gears. The book actually mentions manual and power steering. The shop that is doing the four wheel alignment for me (not Saturn) didn't think it was possible to do on this car with power steering. The thought that the gear back-lash was factory set.

Any suggestions

David

Reply to
David O'Rourke

I'm going to assume you have an S-Series since you didn't specify.

If you didn't get an alignment, I'd have it checked. It's amazing how slight differences can affect steering feel.

There is a joint where your steering shaft connects to the steering rack under a clear plastic boot. This is easiest to see or get to with the drivers' side tire and inner wheelwell liner removed, but you can probably get to it laying on your back under the car looking up. There is one bolt that connects that shaft to the rack. If it is loose, there will be play. Make sure that that bolt is at the proper torque spec. Other than this joint, I don't think there is any way to 'tighten' up the gears or anything else for that matter unless the rack is serviceable and you can order internal parts for it. I'd be surprised if that is the case. BTW, if you want to try a different rack, I have two for sale. Details are in the for sale section of my website.

I just tend to think your new tires have sidewalls or construction that may make the ride cushier or quieter, at the expense of a bit of precision or stiffer feel you got used to in the steering. I can feel this when I switch between my summer tires (Toyo T1S) and winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak). The winters are easier to turn, but the steering doesn't feel as connected or precise.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Your right it is a S-series. It was the mechanic that was doing the 4 wheel alighnment that I was talking with who didn't think it was possible. The 4 wheel alignment isn't finished yet. The front Toe-in was set to facture spec. I'd done the front myself and was only out .1 degree, pat myself on the back for that one. Couldn't get any satisfaction out of Saturn after they changed a tie-rod. The rear wheel total Toe-in is 1.1 degree, so some special hardware is being ordered from SPC. The Camber is also out on one front wheel and both back wheels. The car is stock, even if it never gets adjusted again I like the option to adjust. Getting eccentric camber bolts and a rear toe adjusting kit.

I'm getting a sore head from hitting so many brick walls with my head (two Saturn dealers, one pontiac, and the tire dealer), so I'll pass on replacing the steering rack.

Thanks

David

David O'Rourke