Main Accessory Pulley Removal

Help! I'm trying to replace the head gasket on a 1996 Saturn (1.9 Litre) and I can't seem to get the bolt off the main accessory pulley (bolted to the crankshaft). Can anyone tell me if it is a standard thread pattern (clockwise to tighten) or, if it is reverse threaded (clockwise to loosen)?

We've used a significant amount of torque in the counter-clockwise direction to try to loosen it, but so far, no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Joe C

Typical CCW to loosen. You need to apply heat to the bolts outer edge as it probably has lock tight on the bolts face.

Cant really see it here as its angled wrong.

BläBlä

I used an air impact to remove this bolt.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Same here.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Thank you very much for your help. With a little luck, I'll get this tihing off without breaking it! Thanks again!

Reply to
Joe C via CarKB.com

An average impact has never worked for me on this bolt. I use a 2' breaker bar, along with another bar wedged through the pulley spoke and resting on the edge of the oil pan (where it meets the block) to keep the pulley from turning. That busts it free nice and easy.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I'm sure that some (many) here will say that I'm insane, but this is how I've dealt with this exact situation on several different vehicles.

Get a 1/2 in. drive breaker bar (I really advise against using a ratchet or anything less than 1/2 inch drive) and a 6-point socket that snugly fits the crankshaft bolt (again, avoid using a 12-point socket).

Support the vehicle securely on jack stands, or if possible, on its wheels

Place the socket/breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt so the the handle points in about the 4 or 5 o'clock position and brace it against either the floor or a sturdy part of the frame/engine cradle.

Disable the ignition (unplug the coil-pack, pull fuses, whatever) The important thing here is that you do NOT want the engine to start.

Have your friends/loved ones/pets stay clear of the engine and tap (read: TAP!!) the key to the start position for a split second. You're not trying to turn the engine (much), you just want to break the bolt loose).

Check out your results... You should now be able to remove the bolt with little effort.

Some will no doubt tell you "this is nuts." However, I've used this technique on many different engines and never had a problem.

One caveat: don't try this on a Hondo 4 cylinder as they crank counter-clockwise.

Good luck.

Words

Reply to
Wordsworth