Head Gasket... main cause?

Just had a head gasket go in my '86 Silverado with 305 cu.in. I noticed a inconsistent miss ever since I bought it, and thought it might be a coolant leak. But it was barely noticeable, so wasn't sure. I'm guessing it was over-heated before I got it... it only has roughly

97,000 original miles. How much does age have to do with head gaskets?

Thanks, GC

Reply to
GC

DEXCOOL Anti FREEZE is the problem!!!!!

That ORANGE antifreeze EATS GASKETS

GC wrote:

Reply to
no one

HE wouldnt have put DEXCOOL in a 1986 Chevy....Hopefully anyways.

Reply to
Adam

Please substantiate that claim. Oh...and fix your shift key, while you're at it.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I asked Prestone,they said as long as you drain it first its ok to use either one , just NOT together.

Reply to
D-farr

No I don't use Dexcool... I'm "old school", so I use Peak or Sierra. I replaced the factory 2 row with after-market 4 row of the same design/style. BTW, never did like Presstone either.

Anyone have any other ideas about head gasket failure? This is the first one I've had, so I'm green to this...

Thanks all!

Reply to
GC

I've had a couple of 305's and never had a head gasket problem. They weren't powerhouses, but they were mostly trouble-free. If yours has overheated, you may have to have the heads trued a bit. Are you doing it yourself?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Draining is not good enough. It has to be thoroughly flushed from the system.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Yes Dave, thought about doing it myself... will be my first time with heads. Got any pointers?

Thanks, GC

Reply to
GC

I knew this had been covered before :)

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

The main cause of head gasket failure is not coolant type, it is the lack of it or overheating the engine which causes heads to warp slightly and distort gasket contact area.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I would have to agree with the snoman.most head gasket break downs are related to overheating problems but they can also be linked to a non flo off oil which we all know is a MAIN cause of heat being generated in an isolated area.The oil is pumped from the pan to the top of the motor where it is expected to (gravity drain) back down.If there are cloged port holes this is not possible. If proper cooling by the cooling system can not be achieved over a duration of time then the cooling system seams to fail.But in reality7 it could be the use of (cheap) oil which causes build up!!!!!!

Reply to
gimmpy