Mystery-solution?

I had been having a problem with high idle in summer heat when running the AC and especially a drop in gas mileage of about 5-6 mpg....heavy soot deposit around the outlet of exhaust pipe...rich mixture. I changed the plugs, cleaned sensors etc....all the things that were suggested by the group, but did not seem to help. Last week my wife mentioned that she heard a squeel coming off the engine when turning the wheel, so I checked the belt. It was cracked and hard, probably had 90-100k miles on it, so I bought one of the new style Dayco belts and installed it. Now the mileage is back to what it was before and the idle is much better also. Anyone know why a slipping belt would cause these problems? TIA, MR

Reply to
mrichards

Your symptoms sound a lot like a bad coolant temperature sensor to me since it would tell the engine computer the engine was always cold sending it more fuel and running rich.

A slipping belt would not cause the symptoms you were seeing. It's good you replaced the bad belt, but I'd be suspicious and be on the look out for them to return.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
mrichards

What year and type vehicle? Earlier models used two sensors so the driver temp gauge could still read correctly while the one reporting the coolant temp to the computer could be broken.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to