Cold idle

I have a 98 sl2 that idles at about 1400 when it is first started. Outside temp doesn't matter but has been in the 40s and 50s. Car runs fine after it warms up. Milage is 50,000. Thanks Rich

Reply to
Rich and Sherry

Sounds basically normal to me. 1400 may be a bit high, though.

How long does it take to drop the idle?

Glomis

Rich and Sherry wrote:

Reply to
Glomis

Never timed it but when it get to normal temp it's ok. Idles at about 12 mph on the flat when cold, vibrates the whole car when waiting at a stop light. Didn't always do that. Also getting a whiney sound a slower speeds around town. Maybe idler pully I'm told. Belt has never been replaced but looks good.

Reply to
Rich and Sherry

The belt may look ok but still need to be replaced. It can get dry and cracked, then it starts to squeel. Some people try a belt dressing, but I never found it to be worth the money.

I checked my car's idle speed. It idles up to about 1200 or 1300 for a few seconds on a cold start, then down to about 1100 or 1000 until it warms up a little more. The time varies depending on the outside air temp. Then it drops to about 700 or 800.

The vibrat> Never timed it but when it get to normal temp it's ok. Idles at about 12

Reply to
Glomis

Thanks I'll take a look at the motor mounts.

Reply to
Rich and Sherry