Odometer gear

I just found out why my odometer quit counting. The small red gear directly behind the motor is minus a few teeth. Anyone have one lying around they would like to part with?

Reply to
jogle

First, one might ask why is it minus a few teeth? Most likely cause is a binding cable, speedo unit or sensor module (whichever is appropriate). Make sure that the gear turns freely first. This is no guaranty that there isn't an intermittant binding condition though.

Not exactly apples and apples but the original speedo pickoff gear on my voyager was in virtually new condition at 204k miles. That had a mechanical speedo and a speed sensor driven by the gear.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

The stripping teeth thing is a somewhat common issue. Apparently sometimes if the trip reset button is pressed while you're moving it can strip the gear. Since its a fairly common issue, the dealer might have some. Also, you sould search usenet, I remember somone (I think it was Joey at

6thplanet) bought a bunch of gears and was swapping them in and out.
Reply to
BANDIT2941

Lousy design (speaking as a design engineer myself) if pressing a reset button jams the mechanism enough to bust a gear! You'd think there would at least be a service bulletin on this. We like to say that, "you can make something goof proof but not idiot proof since idiots are so ingenious." Another reason I'm glad to have an electronic dash on the Lw300.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Yeah......some kind of corollary to Murphy's Law......."you can never make something truly fool proof since fools are so ingenious"

Reply to
BANDIT2941